Long term alignment (new user)

jmgoldba

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 01:54 PM, Mark Copper wrote:
The hardware is a thousand miles away.
Okay, I'm just under 500 miles away. Though I rely on others, like Don, who live closer for hands-on I do run the software at home in a simulator mode.

There are two things going on: configuration and control. The 'Using Nexus...' document should really be called 'Configuring Nexus...'. All off the shelf control programs typically have some planetarium functionality. SiTechExe has SkyView.

I'm still not clear how you're planning to control your mount, as in point at targets, using the Nexus. On Linux I suppose you can use KStars with a Nexus Indy driver or maybe Nexus has some mount operation program that's going to include a Park option, where the Nexus program effectively hides the SiTech interface from the user after its been configured.

Jesse

Mark Copper

Sorry for not being clear. The Nexus is connected to the SiTech Servo Controller serial port to serial port. (https://www.astrodevices.com/resources/NexusDSCdocuments/Using-Nexus-DSC-with-SiTech-Servo-controller.pdf)

No, I'm not just staring at hardware. Worse. The hardware is a thousand miles away this week and I'm just *thinking* (and reading) about it. And to make matters worse I'm not familiar with any planetarium software -- unless you count Kstars. While thinking (in the shower, of course) it dawned on me that having just built an observatory, maybe I shouldn't need to align the telescope after every power cycle.

However, I have learned a couple things over the last day. Serge at Astro Devices kindly called and both informed me that he is working on a parking routine for the Nexus and assured me that 6-8 Mpoint objects would suffice to build an alignment model that would serve my scope (a Spica Eyes) and current purposes. Don W kindly pointed out if I can get SiTechEXE going, then SiTech also provides a parking facility and Taj at Sidereal Technologies has told me that Dan G had developed a Linux wrapper for SiTechEXE as well so I may not need to resuscitate a Windows box. Finally, there is an interesting thread this week at Cloudy Nights that mentions maintaining alignment across multiple sessions with the Nexus as well.

So I am very appreciative of the information everyone has generously provided, and am looking forward to getting hands on next week.

Mark

jmgoldba

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 05:47 AM, Mark Copper wrote:
Since my scope came pre-configured... channeled through a Nexus DSC.
Not sure what "channeled" means in this context or what kind of pre-configuration was done. Are you just staring at hardware with no software or instructions on how to set it up or use it? Per Nexus:
You can use the Nexus DSC with planetarium software such as SkySafari Plus/Pro, Starry Night, Cartes du Ciel, TheSky just to name a few.
If you're using a program such as TheSkyX (which runs under Linux) then you'll have an option to Setup/Clear and (Un)Park the scope. -Jesse

Jesse

Mark Copper

Thank you, Don.

Since my scope came pre-configured I have not run sitechexe yet. Will sitechexe run under a Linux Windows emulator (Wine)? Will I need a time server?

Mark

Don W

Hi Mark,
To retain alignment of the mount from one session to another, SiTech uses a Park state at the end of one night's session , then an UnPark at the next session.  The quality of the initialization depends on several factors, so it is not a "Perfect" alignment, but it is close.
In the main (Tall) SiTech window in the upper right is a box with an "H" in it.  Click on that box and it brings up a help file.  Scroll down and it describes the Park process.  Platesolves are used to refine and update alignment through the night.

Park works as long as you don't move the mount while unpowered.
Don W

jmgoldba

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 10:17 AM, Mark Copper wrote:
Where does one learn how to do that?
You don't see any options for parking your scope in your mount's user interface? If you're rolling your own you can investigate the ASCOM commands here. -Jesse

Mark Copper

That sounds like what I need.

Where does one learn how to do that?

Again, I'm really, really new.

Thanks.

jmgoldba

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 09:13 AM, Mark Copper wrote:
maintain alignment state one observing session to another
Why wouldn't you 'Park' the mount between "observing sessions"? -Jesse

Mark Copper

I have a new SiTech servo controller (channeled through a Nexus DSC) on a telescope in an observatory.

How do people maintain alignment state one observing session to another?

Thanks.