Nebulosity vs NINA

Don W

Hello

I guess I should start a new question,if I could find out how to,but here goes.

If I replace Nebulosity with NINA as the telescope control program can I build a plate solve mount model?

OR

how do you keep Nebulosity in listen mode for more than a few plate solves?

Chris

Hi Chris,
Sorry but NINA is not supported by SiTech at this time.  I don't know why Nebulosity drops out of listening mode.

There is a cumbersome way to use Nina, by modifying the script to develop a PXP model to pause and manually take a Fits image in NINA and save it to the default.fit location, then let SiTech run Platesolve 2 or 3 for that PXP point, then move to the next point.

SiTech only controls the camera from the list of programs in CameraStuff in ChangeConfig.
Don W

Chris Waters

OK,

Thanks Don, seems like I persevere with Nebulosity.

Chris

On 28/9/20 3:02 pm, Don W wrote:

[...]

Che

I used to have problems with Nebulosity dropping out of listening mode with my QHY8 and QHY 10 cams.  When put the cams into fast download mode the problem went away.  I may have binned as well I am not sure.  It was taking too long to download and Nebulosity would drop out.  Not sure what cam you are using but you might give that a try.  Would be nice if Dan could implement NINA support as it is awesome and growing rapidly in number of users.

Che

On 28/9/20 3:02 pm, Don W wrote:

[...]

moofrost@...

Hi. I use NINA exclusively with Sitech. Never an issue. Through Ascom. Multiple plate solves when framing etc. Actually runs smooth as butter.

 How are you set up?

paul K

Hi Chris, have you looked at Sequence generator pro? It integrates really well with sitech and many other ascom compliant devices.
Best wishes
Paul

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020, 08:02 Don W, <westergren@...> wrote:

[...]

Eric Walden

I have also been using NINA exclusively with Scitech on my Mesu 200 Mk2. I haven’t built a pointing model. Just use plate solve and sync. Works perfectly almost all the time. Have been having a few crashing issues in NINA recently but not sure if that is a product of it or my setup.

David Newbury

I am very interested in hearing that you are using N.I.N.A. with your SiTech controller.
I am currently using the old SGPro V2. with my MESU 200. I was waiting for V4 to be released as I was lead to believe it will support dual camera's. However, I have since found that new versions of SGPro will be subscription only! Bye Bye SGPro for me. I will go down "free" to use N.I.N.A. route instead. As I know N.I.N.A does support dual rigs and has a control setting to allow dither when neither camera is imaging.
I have imaged with N.I.N.A but not setup a full control imaging session, as of yet. Exciting times ahead :)

Thanks

Dave.

On Monday, 28 September 2020, 14:49:43 BST, moofrost@... <moofrost@...> wrote:

Hi. I use NINA exclusively with Sitech. Never an issue. Through Ascom. Multiple plate solves when framing etc. Actually runs smooth as butter.

 How are you set up?

jmgoldba

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:02 AM, Don W wrote:
SiTech only controls the camera from the list of programs in CameraStuff in ChangeConfig.
I posted a request for a generic camera control option last April.

In the beginning there was MaxIm for camera control and MaxIm camera drivers.
Nowadays there's a plethora of camera control software using ASCOM drivers.
ASCOM won't go into what I call the last mile of camera control which involves writing
the image obtained from the camera to a FITS file so here we are.

I wonder whether SiTech scripts really need that last mile to do what they do?

Jesse

Don W

Hi Jesse,

As nice as it would be, I don't think a "generic" camera control in SiTech is possible.  There are two levels of camera control overall as I see it.
First there are camera control software such as Maxim, AstroArt, Nebulosity, SGP, and many others.  Each of these have their own unique sets of commands, methodologies, and ways of communicating ( many use ASCOM, but Nebulosity uses the Clipboard and a separate "Listen" program).  These software have their own long list of cameras that they can control.  Controlling an older CCD vs a newer CMOS or DSLR takes many specific commands.

Second are a lot of cameras (many are small video cameras) that use ASCOM methods to connect.  These are mostly all available via the first software group, whether they could or should be controllable directly from SiTech is  possible, but many of these are very small cameras, suitable for Planetary Video and guiding, but not large enough for platesolving.

The problem that Don alludes to is that to drive any another imaging program like MaximDL you have to know a lot about how that program permits access to its camera control methods. It's got to be a lot of work and every time there is a release in the server side program you'd have to at least look at whether something needs to changed.  At the same time, every popular imaging program from the SKYX all the way to Voyager support any ASCOM camera that comes out immediately. When I got my new QHY600 camera I downloaded and installed the drivers (native and ASCOM) and was taking pictures, plate solving, etc. in minutes in both the SKYX and MaximDL.

So,  the conclusion that I would draw is that SiTech would be better off writing its own code to control ASCOM compatible cameras. That would make it independent of the imaging programs and future proof it against the day the MaximDL finally dies. Having said that, I don't code anymore so I don't know how practical that would be. It's just a suggestion. There are only a few things that SiTech would have to support in terms of camera control to make it work for 99 percent of users. There's no need to support flat frames or dark frames or bias frames, or regions of interest, camera modes, RBI, etc. It just needs to be able to take a picture and platesolve it etc.

Rgrds-Ross

On 9/29/2020 2:37 PM, Don W wrote:
[...]

Dave,

It does work really well. I can start with a rough initialized Sitech scope, slew the scope to the east or west randomly and do a plate solve and sync using ASTAP in a few seconds. Slew, solve and sync to the target and go.

They include the latest QHY SDK and drivers in each release so I don't have to worry about downloading those separately, and with direct camera control there is great temperature control and download speed.

I used SGP for years, but the move to this 'upgraded' version caused nothin but trouble, and the subscription model tossed them out forever. All NINA needs for me now is integrated dome control, or at least scripted control based on condition and sequence complete.

Enjoy!

David Newbury

Thanks Eric,

I did manage to use N.I.N.A. a couple of nights ago for a short while before the clouds rolled in. Using my Atik 4120ex + C11 @2800mm full focal length, plate solved blindingly fast. A matter of seconds. Normally it would take SGPro with Platesolve 2 a minute or two.
I have not managed to run dual imaging so far. Thursday is looking promising for an hour or two of clear skies forecast. Long enough to test that. I'm sure it will work great.
The learning curve is not as steep as I first thought too.
My Mesu 200 with SiTech controller works very well with NINA so far.

Dave.