PointXP Generation with Plate Solving: Where are the scripts


Alvaro Cruz-Cabrera
 

Dan,

We kind of talk a while ago about using the script that collects the PointXP by using plate solving.

I mentioned that I use a Sony A7s, and that there is not ASCOM access to the camera, so I suggested if there was a way to partially automatize the plate solving and go to the sites for data collection, but stop at the point where the camera takes the image and then places the picture in the correct location for plate solving (at least the picture taking will be manual).  You mentioned that I could modify the script for that.

Quick question where is that script located in the computer.  I had look for it and I cannot find it.

Thanks,

Alvaro


Don W
 

Hi Alvaro,

When you set up SiTech to do a PXP rmodel, SiTech creates a script to do the PXP model.  That script is listed in the script window where you set up the PXP model (where you tell it how many points to run).  That script is not saved to disk unless you purposely save it.  The tab "ScriptControl is where you can save or reload a script.

These PXP scripts send the mount to Alt-Az positions for each data point.  So the same script can be used over and over, months or even years later.  So if you modify a script to use your non-ASCOM camera, you can use that script any time.

So create a PXP model script, then save it with the filename you choose.  Then modify it with a text editor like NotePad to pause and read your camera image.  you will have to do this modification for each PXP data point in the script.  So try it with a small model - maybe just 3 points - to verify it works, then build your PXP modified script.  Once that is saved, you can call it up in the future to run it any time.

Don W


Salomon Thomas
 

Hi,



I don't know if they works for the A7S.

Thomas

--
Thomas Salomon
Mon site web personnel : astreos.eu


Alvaro Cruz-Cabrera
 

Don,
Thanks for the information.  Hopefully I will manage to get it right.  Now I have to wait for the full moon to take advantage of it (I am imaging in between).

Alvaro

On 5/19/2020 10:12 AM, Don W wrote:

Hi Alvaro,

When you set up SiTech to do a PXP rmodel, SiTech creates a script to do the PXP model.  That script is listed in the script window where you set up the PXP model (where you tell it how many points to run).  That script is not saved to disk unless you purposely save it.  The tab "ScriptControl is where you can save or reload a script.

These PXP scripts send the mount to Alt-Az positions for each data point.  So the same script can be used over and over, months or even years later.  So if you modify a script to use your non-ASCOM camera, you can use that script any time.

So create a PXP model script, then save it with the filename you choose.  Then modify it with a text editor like NotePad to pause and read your camera image.  you will have to do this modification for each PXP data point in the script.  So try it with a small model - maybe just 3 points - to verify it works, then build your PXP modified script.  Once that is saved, you can call it up in the future to run it any time.

Don W



Alvaro Cruz-Cabrera
 


Yes, that is in the back of my mind, but first I have to be successful on the script part.  Then I will look at see if I can automatize the camera.
Thanks for the reminder.

Alvaro

On 5/19/2020 1:56 PM, Salomon Thomas wrote:

Hi,



I don't know if they works for the A7S.

Thomas

--
Thomas Salomon
Mon site web personnel : astreos.eu



Alvaro Cruz-Cabrera
 

Hello,

After about 6 months now I am working on the plate solving script, and the first thing I tried was to get the script to get the plate solving working independently.  I got PlateSolve2 to find UCAC3 catalog. Then I tried to do the same thing with PlateSolve (Aka PlateSolve3), but I had not been able to find the catalog.  In the About section it seems to indicate that PlateSolve3 uses the UCAC4 catalog, but I haven't have any luck finding a good download for that catalog.  I found a version from Carte Du Ciel, but it seems not compatible with PlateSolve3.  Any suggestion for the location of the UCAC4 catalog would be welcome.

Thanks.

Alvaro

On 5/19/2020 11:43 PM, Alvaro Cruz-Cabrera wrote:


Yes, that is in the back of my mind, but first I have to be successful on the script part.  Then I will look at see if I can automatize the camera.
Thanks for the reminder.

Alvaro

On 5/19/2020 1:56 PM, Salomon Thomas wrote:
Hi,



I don't know if they works for the A7S.

Thomas

--
Thomas Salomon
Mon site web personnel : astreos.eu




Don W
 

Hi Alvaro,
Platesolve3 requires the catalogs to be correct and in the correct location on your PC.  Here is the writeup on setting up Platesolve3 catalogs (from the readme file that comes with each SiTech install file.

Don W

PlateSolve3 Catalog locations!
This is important if you want to use PlateSolve3, (I highly recommend it).
PlateSolve3 (PS3), does very fast all sky plate solves (Thanks Dave Rowe!)

The Star catalog for PS3 is about 2.1 GBytes zipped up.  
You can try to download it here:
http://siderealtechnology.com/PlateSolve3Catalogs.zip
If that doesn't work, we're trying to set up a public FTP, when we get it working, we'll announce it on the list.
Anyway, you need to unzip it, and it has to be in an exact location.

In the following paragraphs, we're trying to say where the folders MUST be. On most U.S. computers,
the folders are here:
C:\ProgramData\SiTech\,
But your mileage may vary.  Sometimes it's:
C:\users\AllUsers.windows\application data,
and there's a variety of others where windows puts this folder.
You have to figure where the data files for SiTechEXE is, then going up one level.
In the following discussion, I'm going to call it:
C:\YourProgramDataPathWhateverThatMayBe\

You can find this SiTech Data folder by running SiTechExe, clicking on the Config tab,
then Click on Change Config.  Now look at the path in the top textbox labeled "Folder for SiTech.cfg"
Copy everything from the C: up to but not including the SiTechExe, then paste it into a MyComputer browser.
That's where the catalog files MUST go.

The unzipped files should go here:
C:\YourProgramDataPathWhateverThatMayBe\SiTech\PlateSolve3Catalogs

When you unzip the files, sometimes it will make a folder under a folder, like this.
C:\YourProgramDataPathWhateverThatMayBe\SiTech\PlateSolve3Catalogs\PlateSolve3Catalogs   WRONG!!!
This is Wrong, and won't work

Again, the files must be here:
C:\YourProgramDataPathWhateverThatMayBe\SiTech\PlateSolve3Catalogs
In the above folder, there are 3 sub folders:
Orca
UC4
UC4Mag14


Alvaro Cruz-Cabrera
 

Don,

Thank you.  That worked well.  PlatSolve was able to find the catalog files.  Strange enough I did have the folder PlateSolve3Catalog in the same place you mentioned but none of the folders contained the catalog I downloaded from your the site your provided.  There were other folders there, but empty.

Now to make sure the code can plate solve and to automatize the picture taking.

Thanks again.

Alvaro


On 11/26/2020 12:23 AM, Don W wrote:

Hi Alvaro,
Platesolve3 requires the catalogs to be correct and in the correct location on your PC.  Here is the writeup on setting up Platesolve3 catalogs (from the readme file that comes with each SiTech install file.

Don W

PlateSolve3 Catalog locations!
This is important if you want to use PlateSolve3, (I highly recommend it).
PlateSolve3 (PS3), does very fast all sky plate solves (Thanks Dave Rowe!)

The Star catalog for PS3 is about 2.1 GBytes zipped up.  
You can try to download it here:
http://siderealtechnology.com/PlateSolve3Catalogs.zip
If that doesn't work, we're trying to set up a public FTP, when we get it working, we'll announce it on the list.
Anyway, you need to unzip it, and it has to be in an exact location.

In the following paragraphs, we're trying to say where the folders MUST be. On most U.S. computers,
the folders are here:
C:\ProgramData\SiTech\,
But your mileage may vary.  Sometimes it's:
C:\users\AllUsers.windows\application data,
and there's a variety of others where windows puts this folder.
You have to figure where the data files for SiTechEXE is, then going up one level.
In the following discussion, I'm going to call it:
C:\YourProgramDataPathWhateverThatMayBe\

You can find this SiTech Data folder by running SiTechExe, clicking on the Config tab,
then Click on Change Config.  Now look at the path in the top textbox labeled "Folder for SiTech.cfg"
Copy everything from the C: up to but not including the SiTechExe, then paste it into a MyComputer browser.
That's where the catalog files MUST go.

The unzipped files should go here:
C:\YourProgramDataPathWhateverThatMayBe\SiTech\PlateSolve3Catalogs

When you unzip the files, sometimes it will make a folder under a folder, like this.
C:\YourProgramDataPathWhateverThatMayBe\SiTech\PlateSolve3Catalogs\PlateSolve3Catalogs   WRONG!!!
This is Wrong, and won't work

Again, the files must be here:
C:\YourProgramDataPathWhateverThatMayBe\SiTech\PlateSolve3Catalogs
In the above folder, there are 3 sub folders:
Orca
UC4
UC4Mag14