Re: Nebulosity vs NINA

Ross Salinger

The problem that Don alludes to is that to drive any another imaging program like MaximDL you have to know a lot about how that program permits access to its camera control methods. It's got to be a lot of work and every time there is a release in the server side program you'd have to at least look at whether something needs to changed.  At the same time, every popular imaging program from the SKYX all the way to Voyager support any ASCOM camera that comes out immediately. When I got my new QHY600 camera I downloaded and installed the drivers (native and ASCOM) and was taking pictures, plate solving, etc. in minutes in both the SKYX and MaximDL.

So,  the conclusion that I would draw is that SiTech would be better off writing its own code to control ASCOM compatible cameras. That would make it independent of the imaging programs and future proof it against the day the MaximDL finally dies. Having said that, I don't code anymore so I don't know how practical that would be. It's just a suggestion. There are only a few things that SiTech would have to support in terms of camera control to make it work for 99 percent of users. There's no need to support flat frames or dark frames or bias frames, or regions of interest, camera modes, RBI, etc. It just needs to be able to take a picture and platesolve it etc.

Rgrds-Ross

On 9/29/2020 2:37 PM, Don W wrote:
Hi Jesse,

As nice as it would be, I don't think a "generic" camera control in SiTech is possible.  There are two levels of camera control overall as I see it.
First there are camera control software such as Maxim, AstroArt, Nebulosity, SGP, and many others.  Each of these have their own unique sets of commands, methodologies, and ways of communicating ( many use ASCOM, but Nebulosity uses the Clipboard and a separate "Listen" program).  These software have their own long list of cameras that they can control.  Controlling an older CCD vs a newer CMOS or DSLR takes many specific commands.

Second are a lot of cameras (many are small video cameras) that use ASCOM methods to connect.  These are mostly all available via the first software group, whether they could or should be controllable directly from SiTech is  possible, but many of these are very small cameras, suitable for Planetary Video and guiding, but not large enough for platesolving.