Re: Procedure for Drift Alignment using PHD2 - or Something Better?

Alvaro Cruz-Cabrera

Hi All,

Thanks for the prompt reply and there is a lot of reading from the things you have posted.

A couple of things:
1) there is a tree between the telescope and polaris.   so SharpCapPro is out, at least until I move to a new site.

2) in one of the much earlier posts about polar alignment, I saw something related to the part when the telescope is looking at the horizon (East or west ) during the drift alignment and there was a software switch that was disable/enable to take in account the thickness of the air.  Maybe I dream it.

Thanks

Alvaro

On January 3, 2020, at 11:57, BR <marsobservatory360@...> wrote:

Reinhold, you nailed it. I started using SharpCapPro just for the polar alignment feature and found I liked it for some planetary as well. The polar align is the most precise and simple to use I have come across.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 11:32 AM Reinhold Friedrich Auer <auer.reinhold@...> wrote:

Hi Alvaro,
the best software for polar alignment is SharpCapPro. The licence costs 10 British pounds per year and is worth every penny. One feature of this software is guided polar alignment. Depending on how fine you can adjust AZ and ALT axis on your mount, you will get a polar alignment up to very few arcsec preciseness. And that within a very short time. If you have done it 2 or 3 time, you will get it in 15 minutes. No drift alignment can get that quality and so quick.
I am using it for both of my observatories. Good luck. RFA

Reinhold Fr. AUER Dipl. Ing. (FH)
Chudčice 273
CZ-664 71 Veverská Bítýška
telefon: +420 605 553 852
mail:     auer.reinhold@...

Am Fr., 3. Jan. 2020 um 18:07 Uhr schrieb Don W <westergren@...>:
Hi Alvaro,

You can use PHD2 to check drift alignment by calibrating PHD2 for guiding, then turn off the guiding commands.  In PHD2 you can turn off guiding commands by setting the Aggressiveness to zero both axis.

There are many other ways to help do polar alignment.  Look at this source for a list of software:
http://www.thewilmslowobservatory.org/polaralignmentsoftware.html