Re: Procedure for Drift Alignment using PHD2 - or Something Better?

Ross Salinger

You can only use the Sharpcap PA method IF you can see Polaris and if you have a wide enough field so that you can see all around Polaris. That's why PHD is a much better method to use and ALMOST as easy to use. PHD is free as well.

Rgrds-Ross

On 1/3/2020 10:55 AM, BR wrote:
Reinhold, you nailed it. I started using SharpCapPro just for the polar alignment feature and found I liked it for some planetary as well. The polar align is the most precise and simple to use I have come across.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 11:32 AM Reinhold Friedrich Auer <auer.reinhold@...> wrote:
Hi Alvaro,
the best software for polar alignment is SharpCapPro. The licence costs 10 British pounds per year and is worth every penny. One feature of this software is guided polar alignment. Depending on how fine you can adjust AZ and ALT axis on your mount, you will get a polar alignment up to very few arcsec preciseness. And that within a very short time. If you have done it 2 or 3 time, you will get it in 15 minutes. No drift alignment can get that quality and so quick.
I am using it for both of my observatories. Good luck. RFA

Reinhold Fr. AUER Dipl. Ing. (FH)
Chudčice 273
CZ-664 71 Veverská Bítýška
telefon: +420 605 553 852

Am Fr., 3. Jan. 2020 um 18:07 Uhr schrieb Don W <westergren@...>:
Hi Alvaro,

You can use PHD2 to check drift alignment by calibrating PHD2 for guiding, then turn off the guiding commands.  In PHD2 you can turn off guiding commands by setting the Aggressiveness to zero both axis.

There are many other ways to help do polar alignment.  Look at this source for a list of software:
http://www.thewilmslowobservatory.org/polaralignmentsoftware.html