Re: Altitude going haywire #tickmanagement #oscillations

Rob Brown

Don,

Thanks for responding! Here’s what I have:

From Controller in current state:

Alt Motor Ticks 6,891,738

Alt Scope Encoder Ticks 765,361

Az Motor Ticks 3,640,499

Az Scope Encoder Ticks 1,214,385

From working calibration file (May 2018)

Alt Motor Ticks  6,813,919

Alt Scope Encoder Ticks  2,239,383

Az Motor Ticks 3,640,499

Az Scope Encoder Ticks 1,214,385

As you can see, the big change is in the Alt scope encoder. But it’s definitely not slipping. In fact, it can’t, because it is on a separate shaft from the drive and slip clutch and that shaft is free-running (idling).

I was going to try swapping the encoders to see if the problem followed them, when I noticed that the Alt encoder was actually wobbling on the shaft! It turns out that the brass shaft of the encoder was ever so slightly bent. I gently pushed it back, checking the wobble until it looked good. I then ran the Ticks Determination routine again, and Voila! Fixed! The average of three runs for the Alt Encoder is now 2,268,068. That’s very close to my last calibration, so I will now try re-loading the old cal and see if GoTo works.

Done! Problem solved!

Lesson learned: Protect your encoders! Both of them are highly exposed, and I simply must have banged it loading the scope (40 pounds) into the cradle. I’ll build enclosures.

-Rob Brown