Re: Pulse Guiding

Ross Salinger

I’d still like to understand “as soon as it can”. Does this mean at the maximum slew speed specified? Does this have something to do with how fast the controller can monitor movement and stop it?

Rgrds-Ross

From: SiTechservo@... [mailto:SiTechservo@...]
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:10 AM
To: russmgenet@... [SiTechservo] <SiTechservo@...>
Subject: Re: [SiTechservo] Pulse Guiding

>So according to Dan's post relayed by Dave Lane, using PulseGuide
>through ASCOM ignores what ever guide speed is set in
>ServoConfig - "It causes the scope to move there as quick as it can".  Wow!
>Don W

Well, yes and no.

 It uses the guide speed to calculate the distance for the move,

After it has a new position, it will move to it as soon as it can.

Usually, this is before the guide time will expire.  So, the ASCOM IsGuiding property will say false as soon as the mount is settled, if you have that option checked in SiTechExe/Config/ChangeConfig/ASCOM and Logging.

If this is unchecked, even if the mount is finished getting to the new position, it will still hold the "IsGuiding" as true until the requested guide time has expired.

You'll probably get better guiding with this checked, however, some calibration routines won't calibrate if SiTech says "IsGuiding" is false too soon.

Dan

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 1:52 PM, westergren@... [SiTechservo] <SiTechservo@...> wrote:

So according to Dan's post relayed by Dave Lane, using PulseGuide through ASCOM ignores what ever guide speed is set in ServoConfig - "It causes the scope to move there as quick as it can".  Wow!

Don W

---In SiTechservo@..., <dave@...> wrote :

To save Dan the trouble, below is what he told me back in October

"But this is how it works.  The pulse guide software in SiTechExe calculates the guide rate, and the duration, and turns that into an RA or Dec value to move, and changes the RA or Dec setpoint by that amount. There is an option in the ascom and logging tab where you can check the "isPulseGuiding returns false when settled", so then it will return before the pulse guide duration specified."

The important point is if a Pulse Guide ASCOM command calls, for example, to move 1000 milliseconds West (at guide rate), it doesn't move at guide rate (+sidereal) for 1 second to make the correction. It figures out how far 1000mS at the current guide rate is, changes the RA/Dec target to that value which causes the scope to move there as quick as it can, so guiding corrections typically take less time than expected because the typically slow guide rate is exceeded.

--- Dave

On 2018-01-16 1:02 AM, 'Chuck Shaw' candcshaw@... [SiTechservo] wrote:

Ross,

I think Dan should be the one to provide the details of how the guiding commands are structured in Sitechexe.exe.   I don’t want to get it wrong for you!!!

Chuck