From: SiTechservo@... [mailto:SiTechservo@...]
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 12:50 PM
To: SiTechservo@...
Subject: RE: [SiTechservo] Re: Bluetooth and SiTech

Hi Jesse,

When I was using that scope in November to observe Asteroid 169078, everything worked during the heat of the day - including the 4 Startech USB3 hubs.  As we started observing that night the temperature was dropping.  When the temp approached 32°F, three of the Startech hubs quit working - the three plastic housing hubs.  The one Startech metal casing hub continued working fine.  Unfortunately, SiTech was on one of the three that failed.  Adding heat from a hair dryer got that Hub working again - proving that the problem was cold temperature.

I think almost all of the problems you talk about were due to USB cable length and temperature.  Getting the cable lengths to work in day time doesn't guarantee it will work at night - in the cold.

So your solutions are to:

1. Find USB hubs that will work in the cold.
2. Put the hubs in a heated insulated box.
3. Stop using hubs and go with Ethernet or local PC.
4. Use a serial cable to SiTech from the PC, not a USB/hub

Don W

---In SiTechservo@..., <jmgoldba@...> wrote :

I believe initially we started with USB2 and decided to go 3 when we had issues thinking that 3's stricter requirements would ensure better quality at the hardware layer. We also were thinking 3 bandwidth from the computer to the hub would be nice with all the 2 devices (esp. cameras) feeding it.

The most recent discovery was that one of our hubs was seemingly causing errors recently when the temperature dropped close to freezing - so it's been replaced with a more 'industrial' one.

I don't know if we've tried bypassing the hub altogether to get to the SiTech. The stick computer on the mount is a recent addition. Part of the problem is that we can occasionally operate for several hours without issue so performing some of these tests can take some time. We've declared victory before only to face issues on the next trip...

Thanks,
Jesse