Re: Windows10 to be or not to be?

Ross Salinger

You should post over on Cloudy Nights astronomy software forum where I’m a moderator. I’m interesting in getting as much information about Win 10 software issues as possible over there so that perhaps they can be alleviated.

After all, you won’t be able to get support for Win 7 after 2020.

Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2016 1:29 PM
To: SiTechservo@...
Subject: Re: [SiTechservo] Windows10 to be or not to be?

My problem with W-10 was that most of my software either didn't work or needed pampering to get it to work.  So, I took the easy way out - back to 7.

Ben S.

From: "Ross Salinger rgsalinger@... [SiTechservo]" <SiTechservo@...>
To: "SiTechservo@..." <SiTechservo@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2016 1:23 PM
Subject: RE: [SiTechservo] Windows10 to be or not to be?

I’ve been using Windows 10 for about a year, since the beta, with all my astronomy software this includes the SKYX, MAXIMDL, CCDInspector and CCDAP as well as (recently) SiTech. I’ve encountered only one problem – a couple of prolific chipset serial/usb adapters I bought a long time ago no longer worked. The guys at software bisque and diffraction said they made no changes to their software to be compatible with it. So, I’m not really able to follow why there’s so much reticence surrounding this upgrade. If it’s the “forced” nature, then the real problem is that we’ve all signed licensing agreements that permit MS to pretty much do anything they want with the OS on our machines with no liability. Whoever gets elected president should look into software licensing and fix it so this doesn’t keep happening. I think that if you do the upgrade you will find that just the fast startup and shut down are worth the investment in time. I have no educated view on overall security but I really like a number of the UI features (once I found them J).

Rgrds-Ross

Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2016 1:11 PM
Subject: Re: [SiTechservo] Windows10 to be or not to be?

I loaded Windows 10 - took a look, didn't like what I saw - and reverted back to 7.   

Never Trump and NEVER 10

Ben S.

Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2016 2:38 AM
Subject: [SiTechservo] Windows10 to be or not to be?

Over on the Stark Labs Forum, the question of whether to upgrade to Win10 came up.  One answer was that Gibson Research has a very efficient free code to control whether to upgrade to Win10 or not.

I watched a friend's Win7 auto-upgrade to Win10 on startup a couple weeks ago when we wanted to use his observatory, but had to wait a couple hours to complete the upgrade to Win10.  OK, that upgrade worked.  BUT the audacity of Microsoft to take over a personal computer was really too much!

So I have loaded this Never10 on my Win7 systems so I can control when or if to upgrade - Not Microsoft!

Don W

See:

Never10 - Disable Windows 10 Automatic Upgrade

Preview by Yahoo

Join Sitechservo@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.