Temporary Archaeological Field Technicians, Cardno Inc., Indianapolis or Louisville Office

Katie Settle

Join Cardno’s Science and Environment team in Indianapolis, IN or Louisville, KY to play an integral role in doing archaeological survey, testing, data recovery, and monitoring.

Link to Apply:

Archaeological Technician (myworkdayjobs.com)

Or you may email your cover letter and resume to katie.settle@...

Job Description:

Cardno is seeking seasonal Archaeological Field Technicians to assist with upcoming fieldwork that will occur throughout the Midwest.  The position will primarily consist of fieldwork, but may include exposure to a wider range of other duties including laboratory research and analysis. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to: perform archaeological fieldwork tasks including controlled surface survey; shovel test survey; and excavation. Duties may also include cleaning, cataloging, photographing, and labeling artifacts recovered from surface collection and excavation.

Current field workload will vary between Phase II and Phase III projects in Tennessee and Phase I surveys in Ohio, with potential for additional field projects throughout the Midwest. Available technicians may move between projects as timelines and workloads allow. Projects in Tennessee are scheduled to start the second week of October and last into December. Surveys in Ohio are planned to start in the beginning of November and last approximately six weeks depending on crop harvesting. Current pay is $15.00-20.00 per hour, depending on experience. Hotel stays are single occupancy. Per diem rates are $55.00 dollars per day during fieldwork, and $41.25 on travel days.

Minimum Requirements:

>B.A./B.S. in anthropology/archaeology or related field with sufficient experience

>Successful completion of an archaeology field school

>At least 6 months of experience conducting archaeological survey and excavation

>Knowledge of prehistoric and historic material culture

>Ability to complete physically demanding tasks in remote areas and/or humid continental climate, including walking, hiking, carrying loads up to 50 pounds, and digging

>Frequent out-of-town travel, potentially for extended periods of time

>Qualified applicants should exhibit strong technical skills, good communication skills, and feel comfortable making decisions in the field

>Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate motorized vehicles

>Must be able to pass a drug test and background check

Desired Qualifications:

>Experience with completing inventory, survey, testing, and/or data recovery

>Previous experience with mapping equipment and other special application equipment (e.g., total station, GPS, etc.)

>Strong oral and written communication skills

>Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Word and Excel

>Detail oriented; resourceful; self-motivated; strong initiative

>Positive and energetic attitude

Equal Opportunity statement for US based applicants

Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources.