Topics

Staff Archaeologists - On-Call - Los Angeles and Orange County Area ($20-$30/hour)

Andrew Hernandez

Job Description.
Paleo Solutions is currently seeking several On-Call Archaeologists based in the Los Angeles and Orange County areas for seasonal and/or short-and-long-term project-specific work.

Compensation.
$20.00 to $30.00 per hour, non-exempt, based on experience

Schedule.
On-Call employees are scheduled for work hours as they become available. The schedule is usually released on Friday night, but communication will occur as soon as project information becomes available. On-Call employees are free to accept or refuse the hours assigned to them each week; however, we ask that they be prompt in their reply. There are no guaranteed minimum hours per week.

Position Description & Responsibilities.
Primarily, the on-call archaeologist will conduct construction monitoring, but may be required to perform archaeological surveys, site testing, data recovery, as well as other tasks, as necessary.
Participation in field projects wherever they are located, which may require several weeks away from home at a time
Implementation of resource impact mitigation measures including conducting field surveys, performing construction monitoring, artifact collection, excavation, and data recovery projects of all types and sizes
Detailed and accurate field data collection (including the ability to collect using tablet computers and Trimble GPS units) with an emphasis on documentation of archaeological site data, environmental conditions, and construction activities
Preparing, completing, and submitting daily progress reports in accordance with Paleo Solutions protocol
Communicating with Paleo Solutions management in accordance with Paleo Solutions protocol
Assist with drafting and finalizing site records and technical reports, when necessary
Adherence to ethical business practices, professional standards, laws and regulations, and best practices.

Application Evaluation Criteria.
Bachelor’s degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, or related field
1+ year of field experience in archaeological monitoring and survey
Ability to identify prehistoric and historic-age artifacts and cultural features
Good verbal and written communication skills, the ability to closely follow instructions, attention to detail, organizational skills, problem-solving and critical thinking skills
The ability to work independently or as part of a team
Ability to stand/walk for long periods of time and hike long distances (4-6 miles/day)
Ability to perform field work in rough terrain, extreme temperatures, and other adverse weather conditions
Possession of a valid driver’s license and a good driving record

How to Apply.
To apply, please email the following documents to info@...

Incomplete applications will not be reviewed and automatically disqualified.

1. A current Curriculum Vitae.
2. Contact information for three references.

About.
Paleo Solutions is a rapidly growing environmental consulting firm providing cultural resources and paleontological consulting services throughout the western United States. Established in 2004, Paleo Solutions has grown to a 60-person consulting firm with offices in California, Oregon, and Colorado. We assist our private and public sector clients by meeting regulatory requirements, obtaining paleontological and archaeological clearances and environmental permits for their projects, and ensuring that scientifically important fossils and artifacts are preserved in place, repatriated, or curated for educational and research purposes in natural history museums or other government-approved curation facilities.

Our company philosophy is to reward hard work, develop and invest in the strength of our employees, and train those with dedication and professional potential to be as versatile and well-rounded as possible.  We offer a casual, lively, professional, and collaborative office workspace with fellow scientists and administrative staff.

Paleo Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.