SEARCH Southeast -- Full Time Archaeologist

SEARCH

Over land and under water, SEARCH is an archaeology firm that deploys the full spectrum of cultural heritage services worldwide. SEARCH2O, our maritime program, is at the forefront of historic shipwreck and submerged pre-contact archaeology, paleolandscape reconstruction, and deep-water archaeology. We are cultural resource industry leaders, pioneers, and subject matter experts across 44 markets, regions, and research sectors. Since 1993, we have completed more than 4,000 Commercial and Government projects in 47 US states, 6 US territories, and 34 countries spanning 5 continents and 3 oceans. By integrating science, technology, and creativity, we harness the power of the past to advance the projects, places, and people we serve.

SEARCH is dedicated to hiring the most competent, dedicated professionals in our field. Our culture is based on strong work ethic; consistent, high-quality performance; safe work practices; creativity; and excellence in business and staff relationships.

We have an immediate opening in our SEARCH Southeast Region for full-time Archaeologists to support multiple archaeological monitoring, survey, and excavation projects, with assignments primarily occurring in southeastern United States.

Qualified candidates should have the following:

  1. Bachelor’s degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, or a related field.
  2. Minimum one (1) year combined archaeological field experience at an accredited archaeological field school and/or professional cultural resources firm.
  3. Ability to perform physically demanding tasks in variable terrain and environments.
  4. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
  5. A valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.

Preferred Qualifications:

  1. Master’s degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, or a related field.
  2. Meet the Secretary of the Interior (SOI) qualifications for archaeology.
  3. Register of Professional Archaeologists (RPA) certification.
  4. Proficient in GIS and ArcGIS software.

The position requires that candidates be able to:

  • Adhere to project health and safety plans and participate in office and field trainings and meetings.
  • Conduct archaeological monitoring, survey, testing, and excavation in support of Phase I, II, and III studies in accordance with the research design to identify, record, and evaluate historic and prehistoric cultural resources.
  • Recognize archaeological signatures and apply reasoning to evaluate resources.
  • Evaluate and record accurate, organized, and clear field notes, maps, drawings, logs, forms, tables, databases, artifact bags, box labels, and other project documentation.
  • Collect and inventory artifacts, ecofacts, and samples in accordance with the research design, and keep an accurate field specimen log.
  • Identify potential human and faunal remains, and treat any suspected human burial remains respectfully and in a manner consistent with the research design and applicable State and Federal guidelines and laws.
  • Perform quality control of field data (hand-written and electronic) on a daily basis to ensure information is accurate and complete.
  • Use electronic and traditional navigational equipment (GPS, iPad/ArcCollector/Survey 123, compass, transit, etc.) to determine project limits, record fieldwork, document findings, and communicate progress.
  • Photo-document artifacts, features, excavation units, land use, landscapes, unique environmental features, historic structures, archaeology sites, unique environmental features, specialized equipment or technique usage, and work-in-progress.
  • Procure and maintain field equipment, technology, field laboratory supplies, vehicles, and supplies in a clean, working, and safe manner.
  • Occasionally meet with, coordinate, and collaborate with landowners, land agents, clients, other field research teams, and visiting regulatory agency staff.
  • Travel for extended periods of time.
  • Other duties as assigned.

Chosen candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment drug test and a criminal background check, including the DMV.

To Apply:

In Word or PDF format, please send a cover letter highlighting any relevant regional archaeology experience, your resume/CV, a minimum of two professional references, and your dates of availability. SEARCH may contact references and will treat all employment inquires with discretion. Apply here: Archaeologist Opening

Applicants must be eligible to be employed in the United States. SEARCH offers a competitive compensation package with strong health/wellness and retirement plans. Pay will be commensurate with education and experience.

SEARCH is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where a variety of backgrounds, cultures, orientations, ideas, and talents can flourish.

SEARCH is an equal-opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.

SEARCH is an Affirmative-Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.

For more information about SEARCH, please visit www.searchinc.com and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.