Principal Investigator - Archaeologist - Midwest

J Ryan Duddleson

Principal Investigator – Archaeology, Midwest and Great Lakes States

Orbis Environmental Consulting is seeking an experienced Principal Investigator Archaeologist. We are a full-service environmental consulting company that values responsible management of important ecological and cultural resources to meet the needs of a modern world.

Orbis provides botanical, cultural, ecological, and wildlife surveys and monitoring, and wetland delineation and permitting services. We also offer training and workshops in plant identification and inventory.

We are looking for a candidate with strong technical skills, a solid foundation in project management, and who is comfortable building client relationships. This position will involve working with existing clients and developing new business.

Many of our projects are collaborative and involve close coordination with other project managers. You will have the opportunity to grow our cultural resources services alongside our biologists, ecologists and other cultural resource professionals.

Orbis offers a remote work environment – there’s no need to relocate. Most of our work is in Indiana and Michigan, but projects may occur throughout the Midwest and Great Lakes states. For the right candidate this remote work arrangement provides considerable flexibility to shape this role for professional and personal growth.

Responsibilities

·       Independently conduct and direct archaeological investigations according to applicable state and/or federal guidelines and accepted professional standards

·       Write, edit, and format technical reports and prepare Section 106 documentation

·       Supervise archaeological technicians

·       Analyze artifacts expected in the Great Lakes region.

·       Effective communication with clients, regulatory agencies, and other stakeholders to meet project goals.

·       Prepare project scope and budget proposals; contract management

·       Business development and client outreach

Minimum Qualifications:

·       Master’s degree in archaeology, anthropology, or a related field.

·       5-10+ years professional experience as Principal Investigator in Midwest/Great Lakes states and knowledge of regional archaeology.

·       Demonstrated experience in project management and technical writing

·       Clear and professional communication skills

·       Experience with the Section 106 process

·       Meet criteria for a Qualifying Person to perform Archaeological Surveys (5.9) for Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT)

·       Knowledge of INDOT-Cultural Resources Office guidelines

·       Experience using GPS units and tablets for data collection

·       Experience with common office software – Microsoft Office, Google Docs e.g. Comfort using photo editing, messaging, project management applications, also necessary

·       Willingness and ability to work outdoors in a variety of locations and conditions, including overnight travel

·       Valid driver's license

·       Must be authorized to work in the US without company sponsorship

Desired Qualifications:

·       Experience collaborating with other environmental professionals in multi-disciplinary environmental survey

·       Experience conducting remote sensing of archaeological sites

·       Experience with GIS software

·       Experience with photogrammetry

·       Experience completing environmental documents under NEPA – CE/EA/EIS

This is a full-time salaried position. Orbis offers a competitive compensation package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a flexible schedule, and generous vacation. To apply, please send a cover letter describing your qualifications and resume with three references to Ryan Duddleson at rduddleson AT orbisec.com

Orbis Environmental Consulting is an equal employment opportunity employer and seeks diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, marital status, or other statuses protected by law. Candidates must be able to pass a background check and drug test, as applicable for the role.

--

J Ryan Duddleson, M.A., RPA
Senior Archaeologist

Phone (574) 635-1338
Cell (574) 303-7512
Address P.O. Box 10235, South Bend, Indiana 46680