Topics

Historic Preservation Division Vacancy - HPD Offices, Stockbridge, Georgia

R. Joe Brandon

Note from R. Joe: When I first thought up ShovelBums I was avoiding writing a paper for Environmental Archaeology and around 4AM and I sent the announcement about my new jobs list out to my peers at Uark on a loosely organized mailing list called Pocket_Gophers asking them to help spread the word. At some point a few hours later the first non "Pocket_Gopher" joined the list, Rick Blatchley, who had heard about ShovelBums from my good friend, the exceptional Dr. Rachel Black. It is nice to see after decades, that ShovelBums is still able to provide a small service to one of the very first members like Rachel (she was the 1st, 2nd or 3rd to join). ShovelBums only ever grew, and continues to grow, because of the word of mouth between peers. So to Rachel, and all of you, thank you for helping ShovelBums grow and be useful to our community.

PS In lieu of buying me a drink if you ever got a job through ShovelBums and you know Dr. Black, you can buy her a drink and that counts as our agreement being honored. ;-)

Onto the posting:

Best,

R. Joe

Historic Preservation Division Vacancy

Curator / Preservationist 3 – Rockdale County

LOCATION

HPD Offices, Stockbridge, Georgia

DIVISION

Historic Preservation Division

POSITION #

00099914

JOB CODE

NRP032

PAYGRADE

ENTRY SALARY

$35,569.36

JOB DESCRIPTION

This position’s primary duty is to conduct archaeological review and survey of projects for GADNR’s Wildlife Resources Division in advance of timber harvest. The successful applicant will triage, manage, and complete large numbers of small project requests. These projects will require both desktop project reviews as well as field reconnaissance surveys on state lands throughout Georgia managed by the Wildlife Resources Division. This position will require frequent overnight travel and occasional long days in remote locations.  The incumbent will work closely with the Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites archaeologist. Additional duties related to state and federal mandated preservation programs and preservation activities will be required.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

Bachelor's degree in natural resource management, environmental science, historical preservation or a closely related field from an accredited college or university

AND

One year of experience in a directly related field.

OR

Two years of experience required at the lower level Curator/Preservationist 2 (NRP031) or position equivalent.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS

Preference may be given to applicants with one or more of the following:

  • At least two years of  archaeological field experience
  • Experience preparing Section 106 reports and/or conducting Section 106 surveys
  • Demonstrated proficiency with GIS (ArcGIS) and GPS (Trimble).

NOTE: Applicants must submit both an electronic DNR Application for Employment AND a resume to Rachel.Black@...Applications and resumes must be submitted via e-mail only.