DESCO is seeking a full-time Staff Archaeologist with GIS Experience
DESCO Environmental Consultants, LP (DESCO) offers a full suite of environmental services from planning and permitting through project completion. Our services include, but are not limited to: environmentally conscious project planning; regulatory permitting and compliance (NEPA, CWA, NHPA, ESA, CERCLA, MBTA, etc.); habitat and impact assessments; threatened, endangered, and sensitive (TES) species surveys; wetland assessments, delineation, remediation, mitigation, and monitoring; ecological and vegetation data collection; vegetation sampling and mapping; cultural resources surveys; development of habitat conservation and management plans; compliance monitoring; fish impact assessments; marine mammal monitoring; and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) analysis, among others.
DESCO is looking for a full-time staff archaeologist with GIS experience to support a variety of projects throughout the Gulf Coast States, primarily Texas and Louisiana. This position involves providing cultural resources support for oil and gas, transportation, utilities, and development projects both in the office and in the field. The person hired for this position will serve as a key team member working with scientists, project managers, and other project staff across business sectors and practices in the company. Initially, all work will be conducted under the guidance of senior cultural resources staff; however, DESCO expects that this person would, over time, transition into a Principal Investigator role. Responsibilities of this position include:
• Provide support to and work with senior-level cultural resources staff
• Conduct archival research and background records reviews
• Coordinate compliance with NHPA, ARPA, NAGPRA, NEPA, state environmental regulations and other laws relating to cultural resources
• Coordinate and conduct all aspects of archaeological fieldwork (Phases I-III) and monitoring
• Manage field personnel
• Supervise, mentor, and support field staff in all aspects of their responsibilities
• Ensure that all work and data collected are accurate, organized, and of high quality
• Prepare and/or conduct QA/QC and content edits of site forms
• Prepare GIS maps showing site/survey boundaries, shovel test locations, field crew progress, site boundaries, and other information to facilitate project and/or data management
• Conduct analyses and prepare technical reports for projects that involve cultural resources
• Evaluate eligibility of resources for listing in the NRHP and state registers of historic properties
• Support clients during agency and tribal consultation.
• Achieve client objectives in a quick and cost-effective manner
• Promote DESCO safety and quality standards, policies, and procedures and ensure field employees comply
• Master’s degree in Anthropology or Archaeology
• Meets Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Standards and Guidelines for Archaeology
• Has 2-4 years relevant experience with survey/field experience and analysis
• Demonstrated experience in the archaeology of Texas and Louisiana
• Has led crews
• Has provided QA/QC review of field documents, site forms, and reports
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to communicate effectively and coordinate with project managers, clients, and regulators
• Strong attention to detail, and computer literacy required
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, ESRI/GIS, and GPS programs
• Strong leadership skills
• Strong work ethic and ability to get the job completed within tight timeframes and difficult conditions
• Physical ability to walk for long periods of time (8-10 hours/day) and distances (10-15 miles/day) over unfamiliar terrain, excavating shovel tests and test units, screening soil, and carrying field equipment
• Must be willing and able to travel frequently overnight, including out of state travel, for long periods of time (up to 3+ weeks), as needed
• Must be motivated and able to work safely with minimum supervision
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving record, no exceptions
• Must pass a State and Federal criminal history/security background check
• Must pass pre-employment drug screen
• U.S. Citizenship required
• Experience with implementing CWA Section 404 and NEPA permitting
• Advanced skills and knowledge in one or more specialty scientific areas (e.g., lithic, ceramic, or faunal analysis; osteology; historical archaeology)
• Knowledge of and experience with oil and gas operations
Pay commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid time off (PTO), holiday pay, health insurance (DESCO covers half of the employee’s premium), life insurance ($30,000), dental and vision insurance (at the employee’s expense), and a 401K plan.
DESCO covers single occupancy lodging for field projects, pays a per diem of $50 per day, and reimburses project-related mileage and expenses.
Qualified applicants, please send resumes to achapman@....
The information contained in this transmission is a confidential communication intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.