Topics

Full-time, salaried mid/senior level arch PI [REVISED; LOCATION OPEN]

Chris Dayton

Position Title:

Mid/Senior Level Archeological Principal Investigator

Firm:

Cox|McLain Environmental Consulting, Inc. (CMEC)

Location:

REVISED to TBD/negotiable; Oklahoma or Texas preferred

Job Description:

CMEC, a small, woman-owned environmental and cultural resources firm headquartered in Austin, is seeking an energetic, self-motivated, team-oriented, and resourceful archeological Principal Investigator to join our team. Duties may include—but are not limited to—supervising technicians, crew chiefs, project archeologists, and other technical staff; conducting archival research; recording archeological and historic resources in the field independently; supporting client, resource agency, and landowner/land agent coordination; preparing and supporting the preparation of documents such as background studies, agency coordination letters, National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) Section 106 consultation, National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) sections, and technical reports; curating archeological materials and field records at state and federal repositories; providing direction in field protocols and safety considerations; performing real-time quality control on project documentation; and other tasks assigned by CMEC senior leadership and principals for projects in Oklahoma, Texas, and surrounding states. This position will require the ability to work in difficult conditions (e.g., remote locations, summer heat, rough terrain) as well as bending, stooping, carrying field equipment, standing, and walking for extended periods of time, and making visual and tactile distinctions using color, texture, moisture content, depth, and distance.

Compensation will include a competitive salary and benefits package (health insurance, paid time off, profit sharing, etc.). For the right candidate, relocation assistance may also be available to support a move to one of CMEC’s Oklahoma or Texas office locations (Tulsa, OKC, DFW, Austin, Houston). Alternatively, for the right candidate, remote work may also be a possibility, particularly if COVID-19 pandemic precautions remain in effect for the long term.

Essential Qualifications:

  • Graduate degree in archeology, anthropology, history, historic preservation, or a closely related field
  • Completion of recognized archeological field school
  • 5-10 years of archeological field and project management experience, preferably in cultural resources management consulting
  • Previous experience with staff supervision
  • Excellent written and verbal communication skills
  • Ability to get along with a diverse, multidisciplinary team
  • Excellent time-management skills to deal with overlapping deadlines

Ideal Qualifications include all the above, plus any of the following:

  • Previous experience with scoping, budgeting, and proposals
  • Permitted by BLM
  • RPA designation
  • Previous state DOT project experience
  • Experience with relevant state datasets (e.g., Texas Archeological Sites Atlas, Oklahoma Archeological Survey site files)
  • Experience with a range of Global Positioning System (GPS) equipment
  • Experience with tablet applications and resource databases (iPad, ArcCollector, Filemaker Pro)
  • Experience with geophysical survey or geoarcheological assessments
  • Experience with drone photography and digital photogrammetry (e.g., Structure from Motion)
  • Specialized analytical expertise (bioarcheology, geoarcheology, ceramics, lithics, fauna, etc.)
  • Working knowledge of the National Register, including eligibility criteria and aspects of integrity

Contact:

If you are interested in a challenging and rewarding opportunity with a growing firm, please e-mail a short sample of original writing (e.g., an extract from a consulting report, honors or degree thesis, or research paper), cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (all documents in PDF or MS Word format) to jobs [AT] coxmclain.com (please include "Mid/Senior Level Archeologist” in the subject line). CMEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

CHRIS DAYTON, PhD, RPA | Associate | Cultural Resources Program Manager

COX|McLAIN Environmental Consulting, Inc.

Austin | Houston | Irving | Tulsa | Oklahoma City

2105 Donley Drive, Suite 400 | Austin, TX 78758

(p) 512.459.3349 (Ext. 215) | (c) 512.808.7724

chris [at] coxmclain.com

www.coxmclain.com