Field Directors wanted for ASI, Toronto & Burlington Ontario, Starting at $23.46/hour- Unionized Positions

Caitlin Coleman

Hiring Manager:               Greg Pugh, Director of Operations

Location:                             Based out of Toronto or Burlington

Employment Basis:         Seasonal contract, Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm (weather dependent)

Job Type:                             Unionized position

Compensation:                 Pay is graded by experience and qualifications, starting at $23.46

Start Date:                          April 2021

End Date:                            December 2021 (weather dependent)

The health of our workers is always our priority. We have developed a series of safety measures and protocols to keep our workers safe during Covid-19. All office staff are currently working remotely, and fieldwork is being conducted with appropriate physical distancing and sanitization procedures in place.

About us:

ASI is a Canadian-owned company that was founded in 1980 in response to increasing public awareness of the importance of the province's heritage. With offices in Toronto and Burlington, we are the largest archaeological and cultural heritage consulting firm in Ontario. We perform archaeological excavations throughout Ontario, exploring everything from 19th century historical homesteads to 15th century Indigenous villages.

ASI is committed to fulfilling our core value of employing suitably diverse, talented, and dedicated professionals. We aim to create a workplace that celebrates the diversity of our employees, customers, and stakeholders, and commit to creating culturally sensitive products. ASI endeavors to foster an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported.

We are an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code.

About you:

ASI is seeking to employ a licensed professional with a passion for cultural heritage who thrives working independently and leading a small, dedicated team. Our ideal candidate will be a problem solver, thorough, meticulous, dependable, and have a positive attitude. Preference will be given to a candidate with 5+ years of experience in field archaeology, prior experience as a CRM Field Director and a strong background in mitigative excavation.

General Responsibilities:

  • Direct Stage 3-4 Indigenous Mitigation field projects, while participating in site excavation, artifact recovery, and data recording.
  • Liaise with First Nations Monitors.
  • Supervise, train and mentor field technicians.
  • Properly assemble and submit artifact collections while maintaining their integrity.
  • Represent the company in a professional manner when answering questions that may arise on-site from members of the public or the landowner.

Specific Responsibilities:

  • Complete archaeological assessments using appropriate field techniques and recording methods according to site type and conditions such that all field work meets, at a minimum, the requirements of the current Standards and Guidelines for Consultant Archaeologists issued by the MTCS and associated Technical Bulletins.

Qualifications:

  • Applied Research or Professional archaeological license issued by the Province of Ontario.
  • Thorough knowledge of the current Standards and Guidelines for Consultant Archaeologists issued by the MHSTCI and associated Technical Bulletins.
  • A valid driver’s license (minimum Class G or equivalent) and meet ASI insurers requirements.
  • Strong interpersonal and organization skills, especially time management, problem-solving, and multi-tasking under deadlines.

How to Apply:

Please send your resume to employme@...

Caitlin Coleman, MA
Curatorial Associate | Assistant Manager • Communications, Business Affairs Division

AS I   •       Providing Archaeological & Cultural Heritage Services
CColeman@... • 416 966 1069 x 239 • Fax: 416 966 9723
528 Bathurst Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2P9 • asiheritage.ca