PaleoWest LLC is a solution driven archaeological consulting firm that prides itself on employing the best Cultural Resource Management (CRM) professionals in the industry. PaleoWest places an emphasis on supporting our clients’ needs, fostering new technologies that advance our industry while better protecting its fragile resources, and promoting professional development within the framework of innovation and forward thinking.
PaleoWest is seeking an Archaeological Field Director local to the Las Vegas, Nevada area to support upcoming projects in southern Nevada and adjacent areas. The role will include leading archaeological pedestrian surveys, construction monitoring, and other field or office tasks. Duties and responsibilities include organizing and mobilizing field crews, including managing schedules, preparing equipment and data for fieldwork, processing fieldwork data (including site, isolate, and GIS data), and collaborating with the reporting team. Many projects are conducted as camping surveys in remote areas; therefore, demonstrated skills and experience in camping and hiking in adverse conditions are preferred. This position requires working in the office and in the field, both alone and with a team, as needed. Excellent writing skills, familiarity with Nevada and other states’ cultural resources forms, and expertise supervising all aspects of archaeological survey, site recording, and NRHP eligibility evaluations are also required. The ideal candidate will have a strong background of teamwork and experience leading diverse crews.
The successful candidate must meet the minimum qualifications to be listed as a Field Director/Crew Chief on a Nevada BLM Cultural Resource Use Permit. Preference will be given to candidates who have previously been listed on a BLM permit in Nevada or an adjacent state and/or who meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards for archaeology. Experience with the archaeology and history of the Great Basin and Southwest is required. The successful candidate will oversee local and non-local field projects and should be able and willing to travel and work throughout Nevada and adjacent states. This is an on-call position and the successful candidate will be available to work full-time on an as-needed basis.
· B.A. or B.S. degree in archaeology, anthropology, or a closely related field is required; graduate degree is preferred
· Ability to be permitted by the BLM as a Field Director/Crew Chief in Nevada is required; additional ability to be permitted in adjacent states is preferred
· 1+ years field experience in Nevada required; 3+ years field experience in Nevada and adjacent states preferred
· Current valid driver’s license
· Excellent oral and written communication skills and commitment to achieving team goals
· Knowledge of federal and state regulations pertaining to cultural resources
· Demonstrated leadership abilities including providing guidance and oversight to field crews
· Ability to endure adverse environmental conditions, including hot and cold temperatures, precipitation, and challenging terrain for sustained durations
· Must demonstrate excellent attention to detail, a positive work ethic, reliability, and commitment to working both independently and in a team environment
PaleoWest is one of the most respected firms in the industry, with offices across the United States. If you are interested in joining our rapidly growing team of professionals, please send a resume and cover letter, including salary requirements. Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, gender, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, or sexual orientation.