Topics

Director - Master of Arts Public Archaeology (MAPA) - Binghamton University

Samuel Bourcy

Note from the University: We are particularly interested in contract archaeologists with extensive experience in the field so they can provide guidance for the master’s level students on their way through our two-year program. We would also like to find candidates from the Northeast as that is where most of our graduates tend to come from and want to find work.

Application Link: Director - Master of Arts Public Archaeology (MAPA)

Director - Master of Arts Public Archaeology (MAPA)

Category: Faculty RSS feed of all Jobs
Department: Anthropology
Locations: Binghamton, NY
Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: Full-time
Print Friendly Facebook Sharing Feature Twitter Sharing Feature LinkedIn Sharing Feature
Share

About Binghamton University:

Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.

Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 18,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.

Job Description:

The Department of Anthropology at Binghamton University (SUNY), in collaboration with the University's Public Archaeology Facility (PAF), invites applications for a Director of the Masters of Arts in Anthropology with a track in Public Archaeology Program (MAPA).  MAPA is a professional graduate program offering training in public archaeology that we define to include Cultural Resource Management (CRM) and other areas in which archaeologists and their publics interact. The successful candidate will be hired as a 12-month, full-time lecturer on a renewable three-year term appointment.

The successful applicant will oversee the program curriculum, teach classes, and manage the MAPA program (including recruitment, application processes, budget oversight, program marketing and communications, developing internship opportunities and alumni connections, advising and mentoring students, and participating in MA committees).

Requirements:

Applicants must have a PhD in hand, regional experience in North America (Northeast preferred), senior level supervisory experience in public archaeology (including CRM firms, museums, and/or state and federal agencies), and a record of publication. We specifically seek an individual who can help the department to continue to develop the program and deliver master level courses essential to professional training in CRM. We prefer candidates with experience working with Indigenous and descendent communities.

Additional Information:

The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.  It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.

As required by title IX and its implementing regulations, Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates.  This requirement extends to employment and admission.  Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR).  Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.

Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation.  If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at info@....

Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus effective August 1, 2017.

Application Instructions:

Formal review of applications will begin on March 15, and continue until the position is filled.

Persons interested in this position should apply online.

Please submit:

  1. Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
  2. Cover letter, which may be addressed "To the Search Committee." and
  3. Contact information for three professional references

You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume or CV. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp

Best,

Sam

--
Samuel Bourcy