Topics

Associate Architectural Historian

Jennifer Barbee

Associate Architectural Historian

Location: Various offices within CA

Applied EarthWorks, Inc. (Æ) has an immediate opening for a full-time Architectural Historian at the Associate level.  Æ is a leading consulting firm specializing in history, archaeology, cultural resources management (CRM), and paleontology.  We recognize that our staff is our greatest asset and we are committed to providing a collegial, professional, and positive work environment. We take pride in providing a great place to work and we seek a qualified individual to join our team of stellar professionals.

Duties:

The Associate Architectural Historian will manage and direct small to mid-size cultural resources projects and will review the work of junior staff. The Associate Architectural Historian is responsible for ensuring the quality of all project work, including historical and technical reporting. Job duties will include conducting and directing architectural and historical structure surveys; recording and evaluating historic built environment resources according to National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) and CRHR criteria; archival research; authorship of elements of technical reports; and some preparation of proposals.

Skill Requirements:

·         Managing clients, budgets, schedules and tasks related to specific projects;

·         Contribute to proposal preparation;

·         Strong technical writing skills;

·         Writing and reviewing technical reports and research designs/treatment plans;

·         Strong understanding of the CEQA, NEPA, and NHPA Section 106;

·         Ability to perform archival and historical research using primary and secondary documentary sources;

·         Ability to perform oral history research;

·         Researching and developing historic contexts and writing historic background overviews;

·         Recording, documenting, and evaluating historical buildings, industrial and commercial structures, and landscapes to current professional standards;

·         Reviewing design plans for consistency with the Secretary of Interior’s Standards and Guidelines;

·         Contributing to HABS/HAER/HALS documentation meeting national or state-level documentation requirements;

·         Ability to adapt quickly to changes in project needs;

·         Ability to work independently and collaboratively with a variety of colleagues, clients, agency representatives, construction contractors, and other project stakeholders.

Education/Experience:

·         Advanced degree in history, art history, architectural history, historic preservation, or related field required.

·      Minimum of 3 years progressively responsible employment in CRM which includes managing historic built environment projects and preparing proposals.

·         Meet the Secretary of the Interior's Professional Qualification Standards for an Architectural Historian.

·         Demonstrated supervision or management experience desired.
·         Regional expertise in Æ service area desired.

Compensation:

Applied EarthWorks offers a wide range of benefits and a competitive compensation package.  Eligibility for benefits is earned with length of service and includes paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, and professional development time; 401(k); and health, dental, vision, and life insurance. Æ additionally offers an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) which provides employee-owners with a direct stake in Æ’s success by means of a retirement benefit. Salary will be commensurate with experience.

To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, current vitae, salary requirements, a technical writing sample, and at least three references via email to info@.... Please note position title in the subject line.

View other opportunities at the Careers section of our website, www.appliedearthworks.com.

Æ is an equal opportunity employer.  All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability (mental or physical), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, pregnancy, race, religion or creed, sex, sexual orientation, or any other factor that is not related to the job.