Archaeological Field Techs needed in West By God Virginia
Charles "Chuck" Niquette
The Hurricane, West Virginia office of Cultural Resource Analysts, Inc. (CRA) seeks temporary Archaeological Technicians to support Phase II National Register evaluations of several prehistoric sites in Cabell County, West Virginia. The project is scheduled to run from approximately mid-to late January to early March, 2021. Fieldwork will include a combination of manual and mechanical excavations.
· 10 days on 4 days off schedule
· 8 hour days
· $19.00 per hour (no overtime)
· $55 per day per diem (limited to scheduled work days)
· Single occupancy lodging will be arranged by CRA. Lodging will cover each work day and the night before each 10 day field session.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology (emphasis on archaeology) or a closely related field;
· Successful completion of an archaeology field school, preferably in the greater Ohio Valley;
· A minimum of six (6) months of archaeological field experience;
· Prior experience including the excavation of test units and cultural features;
· Ability to identify prehistoric cultural features and lithic and ceramic artifacts;
· Prior experience on CRM-based excavations;
· Strong verbal and written communication/documentation skills;
· A valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
· Assist in excavation of bucket auger tests, test units, and the manual cleaning mechanically scraped surfaces to identify anomalies;
· Shoveling, troweling, hoeing, and screening soil;
· Note taking, completing forms, sketch drawings, etc.
All successful candidates must follow CRA’s COVID-19 guidelines, including 100% mask wearing, social distancing, and sanitization procedures.
Each successful candidate will need to complete and return CRA’s COVID-19 screening form prior to employment.
Each technician will also be responsible for driving their personal vehicle from the hotel to one of the project sites (when there is sufficient parking) or to a local park and ride located approximately 10 miles from the hotel. This drive time is not paid and the mileage is not reimbursable.
Please submit a letter of interest, up to date resume, and three professional references to Bridgette Robinson via email at barobinson@.... All successful applicants must pass a background check completed by the lead federal agency.
Please contact Mike Anslinger via email (manslinger@... or phone (304) 562-7233 with questions.
For more in-depth information about CRA and our 37 years of experience in the study of archaeology and the historic built environment, please visit our website at www.crai-ky.com. CRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.