Topics

Archaeological Field Technician – Minnesota, US

Jordan Lara

Please apply via our website : https://careers-swca.icims.com/jobs/11205/archaeological-field-technician/job

Archaeological Field Technician – Minnesota, US

About the opportunity

SWCA has an opportunity for an Archaeological Field Technician working in the Upper Midwest and Northern Plains. The position would report to the Bismarck, North Dakota Office, but does not require relocation. The Archaeological Field Technician will assist the Project Team in completing archaeological surveys, construction monitoring, and other field or office tasks. You will assist with GPS data collection using Trimble units and/or Tablets, coordinate with contractors in the field, and communicate with the Team through daily reporting of field activities.

Our Bismarck, North Dakota specializes in cultural and natural resources services within a relaxed work environment. We take pride in rapidly delivering on client needs, which can lead to extended field efforts with abundant overtime compensation. With our network of offices across the US, we have the ability to move our field staff rapidly to meet these needs, and the selected technicians may have the opportunity to assist on a wide variety of projects across the country as a result.

This position is a temporary, on-call, hourly position. Project work will occur primarily in North Dakota and Minnesota, although opportunities to work in other states may also arise. Per diem and lodging are provided for all project work requiring overnight stays.

What you will accomplish

Field technicians will typically conduct archaeological fieldwork under the direction of a field lead or crew chief on projects including monitoring, survey, testing, and data recovery.

  • Thrive in our team-oriented approach to project execution
  • Maintain a strong commitment to customer service and to producing quality work
  • Identify historic and prehistoric artifacts accurately
  • Conduct archaeological survey, excavation, and associated field recording, including completion of field forms, digital photography, and in-field mapping
  • Gain experience with our rapidly developing tablet-based GPS and forms interfaces, along with web-based portals displaying project information
  • Conduct archaeological lab work, including artifact washing, analysis, and curation preparation.
  • Use SWCA-provided personal protective equipment and comply with all SWCA and client safety policies

Experience and qualifications for success

  • A Bachelor’s Degree in anthropology, archaeology, or a closely related field or six (6) months field experience with a range of field methodologies, including survey, testing, excavation, and monitoring required
  • An accredited Field School Certification or comparable experience is preferred
  • Experience with a wide range of field methodologies, including archaeological survey, testing, excavation, methodology and monitoring.
  • Knowledge of ArcPad, Arc GIS Collector, and Survey 123 is a plus
  • Current valid driver’s license and the ability to safely operate a 4wd vehicle on rugged, backcountry roads required
  • Ability to travel to a location, walk and conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather, rugged terrain (potentially at high altitudes), and ability to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds is required
  • Willing to travel overnight for an extended period of time

SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.

If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email accommodations@... or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.

EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.

Visit Our Website!

The contents of this email and any associated emails, information, and attachments are CONFIDENTIAL. Use or disclosure without sender’s authorization is prohibited. If you are not an authorized recipient, please notify the sender and then immediately delete the email and any attachments.