Applied Anthropology Laboratories Staff Archaeologist Ball State University
Applied Anthropology Laboratories
Ball State University
Ball State University’s Applied Anthropology Laboratories seeks a Staff Archaeologist candidate dedicated to community outreach, education, and quality research. The successful candidate will work with diverse students and community partners to prepare the future of archaeology in Indiana, the Midwest, and beyond. Come #LearnWorkDiscover with us!
This position will aid the Director and Archaeologist in executing contract and grant Archaeology programs; supervise students in field and laboratory techniques; conduct AAL field projects including analysis and report writing; prepare survey, testing, and subsurface reconnaissance proposals for CRM.
• Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) in Anthropology, Archaeology, or related field, from an accredited institution.
• At least one year of full-time professional experience or equivalent specialized training
in Archaeological research, administration, or management; at least four months of supervised field and analytic experience in general Midwestern archaeology.
• Demonstrated ability to carry research to completion.
• Applicant must document that they meet or exceed the minimum professional qualifications for a Field or Laboratory Supervisor under Indiana Code 14-21-1 and 312 IAC 21 (see https://www.in.gov/dnr/historic/4282.htm).
• Demonstrated ability to compose technical reports independently.
• Eligible to be an approved driver for University-owned vehicles.
• Able to perform physically demanding tasks in variable terrain and weather to complete fieldwork tasks.
• Able to travel occasionally for overnight projects with students and staff.
Candidates for searches must have current authorization to be employed in the U.S. without employer sponsorship.
• Master’s degree (MA or MS) in Anthropology, Archaeology, or related field.
• One year of full-time professional experience in managing experiential learning programs; technical familiarity and proficiency with GIS (ArcGIS), GPS (Trimble/TerraSync), word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and remote sensing techniques.
• Demonstrated experience in the analysis of historic and prehistoric artifacts.
• Already listed on the Indiana Division of Archaeology and Historic Preservation’s Qualified Professional roster.
Apply online at: http://bsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/23531. The salary range for this position is $37,500 – 47,500.00. Review of applications will begin immediately and will be accepted through February 4, 2021.
The Staff Archaeologist is a term appointment through the end of the fiscal year (June 30, 2021), potentially renewable based on performance and funding. Questions about the process or the position can be directed to Dr. Kevin C. Nolan (kcnolan@..., 765-285-5325).
The following are required in this application:
• Cover letter
• CV (curriculum vitae)
The following are optional in this application:
• Transcripts (highest qualifying degree)
• Up to two technical writing samples (primary or solo authored preferred)
• Detailed work history relevant to required qualifications
(See e.g. https://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx?id=6579)
Writing samples and qualifications documentation may be submitted under “Other” documents. Transcripts, writing samples, and qualifications are required for a full evaluation of candidates, and will be required before hiring. Including them with your application will expedite the process, and it is strongly encouraged.
NOTE: The option to upload transcripts is available. Original, official transcripts showing the highest related degree earner is required at the time of hire (even if obtained at BSU). Degree verification will be conducted.
Ball State University is located in Muncie, Indiana, approximately 45 miles northeast of Indianapolis. Approximately 21,000 undergraduate and graduate students enroll each year in diverse academic programs on and off campus. Our students come from all Indiana counties, all 50 states, and 68 countries to pursue knowledge in seven academic colleges offering 190 undergraduate majors, 130 undergraduate minors, 140 graduate programs and 200 study abroad programs.
The Ball State way is rooted in the Beneficence Pledge – a commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarship, honesty and integrity, social responsibility, gratitude and valuing the intrinsic worth of each member of our community. Ball State students, faculty and staff are empowered in a culture that believes in them and demands they believe in themselves. They are partners in an innovative, immersive approach to education. They are supported by living and learning facilities that enable intellectual curiosity. We graduate scholars who are changing the world, and we’ve dedicated our University to do the same.
The university offers an excellent wellness program and extensive benefits offerings to include a generous paid time off package and paid parental leave. For further information regarding benefits please visit:
Ball State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.