PaleoWest is a solution driven archaeological consulting firm that prides itself on employing the best Cultural Resource Management (CRM) professionals in the industry. PaleoWest places an emphasis on supporting our clients’ needs, fostering new technologies that advance our industry while better protecting its fragile resources, and promoting professional development within the framework of innovation and forward thinking.
We are seeking an experienced GIS Technician familiar with cultural resources management regulations and archaeology to join our team and support PaleoWest’s growing technology needs, nationwide. You must have experience working with multiple types of spatial data to create print-ready figures meeting agency-specific standards and have proven experience working within cultural resources management or/and with archaeological data. You will have the opportunity to work on interesting nationwide projects while further developing your technical and managerial skills.
This position does not require relocation; you will be able to work remotely with the distributed PaleoWest GIS team on multiple projects from different geographies across the United States. We are particularly interested, however, in GIS professionals who are based in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Utah, or Nevada, and have familiarity with the local cultural resources’ management regulations in these states.
- Preparing and modifying maps, drawings, and plans related to cultural resources projects
- Georeferencing and digitization of raster images
- Manipulation of various data types and sources (KML, shapefiles, feature datasets, CAD)
- Organization of spatial data with use of geodatabases
- Production of field data, including geolocated maps and device interfacing
- Work with Google Earth and ESRI ArcGIS Pro 2.x, ArcMap 10.x, ArcGIS Online, and ArcGIS for Collector
- Import/export of shapefiles, tables, and other spatial data, as required
- Adherence to agency-specific requirements within PaleoWest branding guidelines
- Utilization of Microsoft Suite, including Word, Excel, SharePoint, and Outlook
You are a great fit if you can demonstrate the following:
- Proficiency with ArcGIS software, geodatabases, geoprocessing, and GIS tools
- Minimum two years of experience using ArcGIS Pro 2.x and ArcMap 10.x (experience publishing to ArcGIS Online and working with Portal for ArcGIS is a plus)
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in GIS, geography, anthropology/archaeology, or allied discipline
- Proven familiarity with cultural resources management regulations nationwide, particularly for Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Utah, and Nevada
- Experience operating handheld GPS units for navigation and electronic field data collection (previous experience operating Trimble units), as well as troubleshooting of GPS equipment and data issues
- Experience reviewing and interpreting cultural resources data in reports, maps, and photographs.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting to accomplish project goals
- Ability to work under pressure and meet last minute deadlines with colleagues across the United States
- Strong organizational skills with ability to produce professional final and draft deliverables
- Flexibility and capability to meet the demands of rapidly changing plans and schedules
- Written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to effectively communicate principles and cultural resources management concepts
- Field experiences related to archaeology preferred but not required (e.g., mapping, data recording, site photography, sketch maps, survey, and data recovery).
PaleoWest is one of the most respected firms in the industry, with offices across the United States. If you are interested in joining our rapidly growing team of professionals, please send a resume & cover letter including salary requirements. Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, gender, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Interested parties apply here.