Position: Archaeological Field Technicians
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
106 Group is seeking to fill field archaeologist positions for the 2020 field season. This position involves largely Phase I pedestrian surveys and shovel testing for projects throughout the Midwest. Opportunities are expected to continue throughout the remainder of the season dependent on performance.
The 106 Group offers a professional and friendly working environment with a wide range of interesting and challenging projects in the field of cultural resources management, planning, community engagement, and design. See www.106group.com for more information about our firm.
• Perform archaeological survey (pedestrian reconnaissance, shovel testing, or urban archaeological investigations working alongside heavy machinery) under the direction of project Crew Chiefs and Field Director.
• Excavate and document excavation units as components of archaeological evaluation and data recovery projects.
• Participate in additional projects as appropriate according to skill level, experience, and ability.
• B.A. or B.S. degree in archaeology, anthropology, or closely related field.
• Archaeological field school or demonstrated equivalent experience.
• Ability to maintain steady pace while accurately recording archaeological observations and artifact collection.
• Ability to work efficiently in adverse environmental conditions, including hot and cold temperatures, precipitation, and challenging terrain for sustained durations.
• Archaeological knowledge of the precontact and post-contact periods, including ability to recognize and preliminarily identify regional artifacts.
• Ability to work individually and as a team.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to adapt quickly and work well under pressure.
• Working knowledge and ability to use or learn to use current technologies.
• Valid driver’s license and ability to reliably commute to either the 106 Group offices or project locations.
Additional experience valued or preferred:
• At least one year field experience.
• Knowledge of architecture/history properties.
• Knowledge of cultural resources management laws and process.
• Experience with Trimble GPS systems.
• Experience with local artifact assemblages, lab, and curation procedures.
Travel and fieldwork are requirements of this position. Salary is commensurate with experience. In addition to lodging, archaeologists will receive a daily per diem matching the current Federal GSA rates (minimally $55) for projects outside of the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area.
Complete web application with attached PDF resume and a cover letter highlighting your skills.
The 106 Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
106 Group Business Administrator
St Paul MN | Boston MA | Richmond VA | Washington DC
Just to let you know, it's business as usual at 106 Group. We're all working from our respective home offices and ready to meet your needs. When you email or phone us, you'll get the usual fast and helpful response. Let's all work at staying healthy and following best practices.
The content of this email is the confidential property of the 106 Group and should not be copied, modified, retransmitted, or used for any purpose except with the 106 Group’s written authorization.