Archaeologist (Temporary) ($27/hr) - Island of Kauai - The Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML)
POSTED BY: Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands
Archaeologist (Temporary) ($27/hr)
The Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML) is hiring a Secretary of the Interior (SOI) qualified archaeologist for an 8-month term on the Island of Kauai. The archaeologist will be responsible for completing small-scale surveys and respond to inadvertent discoveries that may include archaeological sites, historical sites, and potentially human remains. The archaeologist must also provide onsite technical support and guidance to military land managers regarding undertakings with the potential to effect historic properties. Hourly wage is $27/hour (commensurate with experience and qualifications). This is a temporary position not to exceed 8-months. No relocation, per diem, or lodging provided.
- Master’s Degree in Anthropology or Archaeology
- 2-years (minimum) professional archaeological experience in Hawaii.
- Archaeological field project management experience including supervision of other professionals in the field.
- Experience in archaeological field survey methods, including pedestrian and shovel testing archaeological field surveys, mapping, digital photography, and recording archaeological findings on standardized forms.
- Ability to work independently and manage inadvertent discoveries, which may involve human remains.
- Working familiarity with NRHP Sections 106 and 110, NAGPRA, and ARPA.
- Have a thorough understanding of most standard computer programs, especially MS Word and Excel.
- Competent in the use of Trimble GPS units and Pathfinder Office Software.
- Competent in the use of ArcGIS, ArcMap and ArcCatalog for production of maps and data management.
- A willingness to work in a highly structured work environment with established lines of authority, procedures and protocols is required.
- Experience with human remains in archaeological contexts preferred.
- Previous experience on a military base is also beneficial.
Work will be performed outdoors and the successful candidates must be able to walk over uneven terrain in inclement weather. The position may be required to bend, climb, and lift up to 35lbs. Must have own vehicle. Mileage will be paid for work related use.
Successful candidates must have a valid driver’s license and be eligible to work in the United States by the proposed start date. CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
How to apply:
Interested applicants must submit a complete application via email to Stephen.Sherman@... and Florencia.Pezzutti@.... A complete application shall consist of a Statement of Qualifications (addressing each of the qualifications described above), resume, and three professional references. Apply via email no later than 20-January-2020 for full consideration.
For more career opportunities, and to learn more about CEMML’s contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, please visit http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy. CEMML/Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce, and complies with all federal and Colorado state laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.