Full Time Position: Archaeological Laboratory/Field Assistant, Wapsi Valley Archaeology, Inc.

Nurit Finn

 WAPSI VALLEY ARCHAEOLOGY, INC.

Archaeological Laboratory/Field Assistant

(Full Time Position with Benefits)

Wapsi Valley Archaeology, Inc. of Anamosa, Iowa, is accepting applications for an Archaeological Laboratory/Field Assistant to join our research team.  This is a full-time position with benefits including paid vacation, sick leave, health insurance, dental insurance, and holidays. The position requires a B.A. or B.S. in Anthropology, Archaeology, or a closely related field.  Experience with archaeology laboratory and fieldwork in North America required.

We are looking for a self-motivated team member who loves being in the field and lab, doesn’t mind overnight travel, enjoys Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III fieldwork, and loves working with artifacts. This position may involve fieldwork in all sorts of weather conditions and within various terrains. In addition, the position will involve artifact processing, identification, analysis, and preparation of materials for curation within a professional lab setting. There may be opportunities to assist with preparation of maps and graphics and other facets of research depending on the individual’s skillset and interests.

Responsibilities may include:

·      Working with archaeologists in the lab

·      Artifact processing (washing, inventorying, labeling, and bagging)

·      Prehistoric and historic artifact identification and analysis

·      Preparation of materials for curation

·      Working with archaeologists in the field on Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III projects

·      Assisting with lab and research library/type collection organization

The following skills are highly valued: please let us know if you have experience in any of these areas.

   ·      Microsoft Office proficiency, including Word, Excel, and Access

·      GPS proficiency

·      Use of a total station or other surveying equipment

·      Knowledge of ArcGIS or Q

·      Computer drafting/illustration skills

·      Photography skills

·      Other research skills

Wapsi Valley Archaeology, Inc. is a full-service cultural resource services firm based in historic downtown Anamosa, Iowa. We offer the full range of services and professional assistance for all phases of archaeological and historical investigations, including archaeological and architectural history surveys, archaeological excavations, National Register of Historic Places eligibility evaluations, National Register nominations, historic research and documentation, historic booklet preparation and publication, historical signage development, and preservation planning. Our study range covers portions of the Upper Midwest including Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, and the Dakotas.

Wapsi Valley Archaeology, Inc. does not discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, age, creed, physical or mental disability, color, sex, actual or perceived gender orientation/identity, ethnicity, national origin, familial status, or protected veteran status in its employment practices, in the selection and retention of subconsultants, and in its procurement of materials and leases.  All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without race, religion, age, creed, physical or mental disability, color, sex, actual or perceived gender orientation/identity, ethnicity, national origin, familial status, or protected veteran status, or otherwise as required by law.  Please tell us if you are a Section 3 Resident under the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968.

Please send a resume and list of three references by May 10th to:

Eleisha Barnett, Office Manager

Email: embarnett@...

Telephone: (319) 462-4760

For more information about us, visit our website at www.wapsivalleyarch.com.