Mid-Level Staff Historian/ Architectural Historian

ERO Resources

Join the ERO Team!

ERO Resources Corporation is currently seeking a Mid-Level Staff Historian/ Architectural Historian to join our cultural resources group.  This position will work collaboratively to support new and existing cultural resource management projects based out of our Denver office.  The successful candidate will primarily support ERO’s transportation sector, including projects with state departments of transportation and the Federal Highway Administration, and contracts with the National Park Service.

About ERO

ERO is a Women-Owned Small Business that has consulted on environmental issues throughout the Intermountain West since 1981.  For 40 years, our environmental consulting firm has served clients in Colorado and the West with an enduring commitment to quality and integrity.  Our diverse team of scientists, planners, and subject matter experts work together to craft innovative solutions that respond to our clients’ resource issues.  ERO takes pride in providing services that are efficient, effective, and responsive to our clients’ needs and expectations.  We strive to balance development with the natural environment within a framework of legal requirements, agency compliance, and public involvement.

Position Overview

The position provides expertise in the documentation, evaluation, and treatment of the built environment.  The successful candidate must be able to meet the Secretary of the Interior’s (SOI) Qualifications for historian/architectural historian and must have experience working and complying with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.  The successful candidate will be responsible for applying technical knowledge related to history and architectural history, including archival research, resource documentation, and technical writing.  The position requires both local and out of town travel.

Minimum Education and Experience

·   Bachelor’s degree in history or architectural history; M.A. or M.A. track preferred

·   3 to 5 years of applicable experience through professional employment

·   Meet SOI qualifications for architectural history

·   Archaeological experience documenting historical resources will be considered a plus

·   Primary experience with the history and architectural history of the western U.S.

·   Experience with Microsoft Office products and using a Global Positioning System unit and tablet

·   Experience with National Environmental Policy Act impact assessments will be considered a plus

Physical Requirements

Projects may be located in both urban and rural settings and may require standing, walking, and hiking for long hours in all types of weather conditions.

Expected Job Responsibilities

The successful candidate will be expected to perform the following:

  • Conduct historic resource surveys and historic building assessments
  • Develop research designs and conduct archival research to support contexts and significance evaluations
  • Research and complete Historic American Building Surveys and Historic American Engineering Records
  • Complete written architectural descriptions, apply significance criteria, and evaluate project effects
  • Prepare technical reports for regulatory compliance
  • Develop cultural resource management plans and interpretive planning
  • Work collaboratively and communicate effectively within a team environment

The salary range is $45,000 to $65,000 (commensurate with experience and opportunities for advancement) plus benefits (paid time off, health insurance, profit sharing, and a retirement plan).  If you are qualified for this position, please email a cover letter and resume describing your education and experience and a writing sample to opportunities@... in PDF format only. This job posting is “continuous” or “open until filled” and will close when a qualified candidate is hired. No phone inquiries please; you will receive an email notifying you that ERO has received your application.  Only potential candidates will be contacted for interviews.  Applicants selected for interviews will be asked to provide at least three references.

ERO participates in e-verify and pre-employment background screening services.  ERO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans to apply.

For more information about ERO, visit our website at www.eroresources.com.