Applied Anthropology Laboratories Project Archaeologist Ball State University: Position closes 7/25/2020.

rjoe_brandon

Applied Anthropology Laboratories Project Archaeologist
Ball State University

The Applied Anthropology Laboratories is a highly productive research and community outreach Institute within the College of Sciences and Humanities that engages undergraduate and graduate students in hands- on in learning, building transferable skills, and building a record of competencies in their discipline to prepare them for productive careers. We perform a wide range of research and service for a wide variety of community partners funded by agencies from the National Parks Service, to National Science Foundation, to the National Endowment for the Humanities, and private clients. Come engage in state of the art research, training, and service with us. Learn. Work. Discover.

The Applied Anthropology Laboratories (AAL) continues its >40-year history providing experiential learning opportunities for students in Anthropology and related disciplines. AAL prepares Ball State students for a variety of jobs through paid opportunities to work with community partners. The AAL makes substantive contributions to four of the five goals of Destination 2040: Our Flight Path, advancing student preparation and impactful research while engaging a variety of external community partners.

AAL’s mission is to provide students experience in their chosen field, aiding them in translating classroom ideas into action, building transferable skills, and paving the way to fulfilling careers. To accomplish
this, AAL staff maintain a diverse array of externally contracts and grants generating hundreds of thousands of dollars in funding annually. These funded projects create various applied performance opportunities for students. Our motto is “Learn. Work. Discover.” This really captures the opportunities we provide to our students. Students learn how to work in their chosen field while making new scholarly discoveries, all while providing valuable services and products to outside community partners.

The AAL teaches students how to be professionals, preparing them for fulfilling careers while advancing many different community engaged projects. From working with American Indian tribes to publicly present a more accurate interpretation of their history, to helping communities and private firms comply with federal regulations to make desired economic development improvements, to helping local historical societies manage their collections and interpretations for their audiences. We are student-focused. We are community-engaged. We conduct high quality research. We #LearnWorkDiscover! We Fly!
 Aid the Director and other AAL staff in securing and executing contracts and grants;
 supervise students in field and laboratory techniques; conduct AAL field projects including analysis and report
 writing; prepare survey, testing, and subsurface reconnaissance proposals for CRM.

Position Function:
Minimum qualifications:
Master’s degree (MA or MS) in anthropology, archaeology, or related field from an
 accredited institution. At least one year of full-time professional experience or equivalent specialized training
 in archaeological research, administration, or
management; experience at a supervisory level in the study of
archaeological resources; at least four months of supervised field and analytic experience in general
 Midwestern archaeology. Demonstrated ability to carry research to completion. Applicant must document
 that they meet or exceed the minimum professional qualifications in archaeology published by the Secretary
 of the Interior (36 CFR Part 61). Demonstrated ability to compose quality technical reports independently.
  Candidates for searches must have current authorization to be employed in the U.S. without employer sponsorship.

Preferred qualifications: Course work in related fields such as soils, historic preservation, geology, history, natural resources, and/or geography. At least one year of full-time professional experience in cultural resource management in a supervisory capacity; technical familiarity and proficiency with GIS, (ArcGIS) GPS (Trimble/TerraSync), word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and remote sensing techniques; demonstrated experience in the analysis of historic and prehistoric artifacts. Existing listing on the Indiana Division of Archaeology and Historic Preservation’s Qualified Professional roster, Register of Professional Archaeologists (RPA), or other Midwestern state qualified professional roster.

Include the following documents with your application: curriculum vitae, master’s transcripts, writing sample, and cover letter addressed to Dr. Kevin Nolan. Additional Instructions: Submit a cover letter detailing your experience relevant to the job duties and qualifications, a CV or resume, at least 2 technical writing samples, and transcript of your highest degree (MA/MS required). Be sure that your cover letter and CV clearly demonstrate that you meet 36 CFR 61 qualifications. If it is unclear, you may not be eligible for further consideration. Writing samples should be sole authored if possible. If not sole authored, please identify your contribution clearly. If no technical reports available, submit the most similar writing samples that you have. If you cannot combine your writing samples into a single document, use “Other”. Please contact Dr. Nolan if you are unsure which samples are most appropriate. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for application; degrees will be verified before hiring if necessary. The Master’s transcript is a required attachment. If you have a PhD, but no Master’s, please attach your terminal degree transcripts as the Master’s transcript. All application materials must be submitted through the Ball State University application portal. No documents submitted via email or other method will be considered as part of your application packet.

Contact Dr. Nolan if you have any questions.

Transcripts required (even if obtained at BSU) at time of application, showing the date degree was conferred from granting institution. Original, official transcripts are required at time of hire. Degree verification will be conducted.
Minimum salary for this position is $42,500.00. Review of applications will begin immediately and will be accepted through July 25, 2020.
  Ball State University is located in Muncie, Indiana, approximately 45 miles northeast of Indianapolis. Approximately 21,000 undergraduate and graduate students enroll each year in diverse academic programs on and off campus. Our students come from all Indiana counties, all 50 states and 68 countries to pursue knowledge in seven academic colleges offering 190 undergraduate majors, 130 undergraduate minors, 140 graduate programs and 200 study abroad programs.
The Ball State way is rooted in the Beneficence Pledge – a commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarship, honesty and integrity, social responsibility, gratitude and valuing the intrinsic worth of each member of our community. Ball State students, faculty and staff are empowered in a culture that believes in them and demands they believe in themselves. They are partners in an innovative, immersive approach to education. They are supported by living and learning facilities that enable intellectual curiosity. We graduate scholars who are changing the world, and we’ve dedicated our University to do the same.
The university offers an excellent wellness program and extensive benefits offerings to include a generous paid time off package and paid parental leave. For further information regarding benefits please visit: https://cms.bsu.edu/About/AdministrativeOffices/HumanResources/Jobs/Benefits-and- Community/professional-staff

Ball State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.