Position Announcement - Research Archaeologists (Two) - Illinois State Archaeological Survey
Pankey, Janice L
Research Archaeologists (Two)
Illinois State Archaeological Survey
Prairie Research Institute
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Illinois State Archaeological Survey (ISAS) and the Prairie Research Institute (PRI) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, is seeking two Research Archaeologists for its American Bottom Field Station in Collinsville, Illinois. The successful candidates will conduct and/or supervise archaeological surveys, excavations, and laboratory analysis, as well as author/edit related Technical Report chapters, Archaeological Survey Short Reports (ASSRs), and Archaeological Testing Short Reports (ATSRs) detailing the results of these studies for National Historic Preservation Act Section 106 purposes. Additional duties will include the in-depth analysis of one or more of the following: pre-contact lithics; pre-contact ceramics; faunal remains; bioarchaeological remains, or historic materials. Overnight travel to conduct fieldwork will be expected. Must possess a valid driver’s license and insurance. Work is conducted in both office and outside settings. Some outdoor work may include heat, humidity, biting insects, and cold and wet conditions.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
· Conduct and/or supervise phase I, II, and III survey, test excavations, and feature excavations in Illinois.
· Conduct laboratory analysis of materials recovered from archaeological investigations.
· Author analytical chapters/reports detailing the materials recovered.
· Serve as editor on archaeological reports as workflow dictates.
· Serve as author and compiler for ASSR-and-ATSR-level projects.
Required: BA in Anthropology, Archaeology or closely related field.
Preferred: MA in Anthropology, Archaeology or closely related field.
· Two or more seasons of survey or excavation experience beyond a field school.
· Familiarity with pre-contact and historic archaeology of the Midwest.
· Analytical expertise in at least one of the following: pre-contact lithics, pre-contact ceramics, faunal remains, bioarchaeological remains, or historic materials.
· Demonstrated ability to complete reports.
· Basic computer skills.
· Minimum of three years’ experience conducting all phases of field investigations in a cultural resources setting.
· Supervisory experience conducting all phases of field investigations in the Midwest or Southeast.
· Experience with a Total Station.
· Knowledge of the archaeological resources of the American Bottom region of Illinois.
· Experience in Late Woodland and/or Mississippian fieldwork and analysis in Illinois.
This is a regular, full-time benefit eligible, academic professional position, renewable annually based upon satisfactory performance and continued funding. The starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date, and salary is commensurate with experience. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by February 20, 2020, however applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please visit <http://jobs.illinois.edu> to complete an online profile and to upload 1) your cover letter, 2) résumé/CV detailing your relevant qualifications, and 3) the contact information (including email addresses) of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Ms. Janice Pankey, ISAS Administration at <jpankey@...>. Individuals with questions concerning this position should contact Mr. Richard Fishel, <rfishel@...>, or Dr. Timothy Pauketat <pauketat@...>. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Illinois State Archaeological Survey
Prairie Research Instute
23 Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820