Archaeologist - Project Director @ SWCA Environmental Consultants

Edith Abasta

Archaeologist - Project Director

Please apply via: https://careers-swca.icims.com/jobs/10688/archaeologist---project-director/job

About the opportunity:

SWCA Environmental Consultants (SWCA) is expanding our Phoenix cultural resources team and looking for dynamic individuals who are interested in growing their career in cultural resources management and archaeology.

Our Phoenix office is seeking an Archaeological Project Director within our Cultural Resources Program. This position will work closely with our Cultural Resource Team and Program Leads across Arizona.

The Project Director will perform field and office tasks while working with and supervising crew members. Project Directors manage all aspects of fieldwork, supervising one or more crews of archaeological surveyors, monitors, or excavators. Project Directors may also assist with office-based tasks, including the preparation of site forms and technical reports. Pay rate will be based on individual qualifications and experience.

Anticipated fieldwork will occur throughout central and southern Arizona, as with potential work in California and Nevada. Candidates local to Phoenix are strongly preferred.

What you will accomplish:

  • Assist Project Managers with developing and tracking scopes, schedules, and budgets
  • Communicating with Project Managers and GIS staff through regular, scheduled field status reports
  • Data QA/QC, organization, and tracking; field GPS data collection using Trimble units (and equivalent) and/or tablets
  • Project Directors are responsible for office-based tasks, including Class I literature reviews, site form and technical report preparation and submittal
  • Fieldwork (survey, testing, monitoring, and data recovery)
  • Professional report and site form preparation, research, and literature reviews
  • Supervising fieldwork (survey, site recording, testing, monitoring, and data recovery) of one or more crews in the field
  • Proposal support, technical methodology development, and budget preparation.

Experience and qualifications for success:

  • A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s Degree in Anthropology, Archaeology or a closely related field  required. Master’s Degree in Anthropology or a closely related field, preferred
  • Ability to be listed on federal and state permits in Arizona, or with the experience base to be rapidly brought to the level of qualification to be listed on relevant Arizona archaeological permits
  • Ability to travel and conduct fieldwork for long hours (sometimes in inclement weather, rugged terrain, and at high altitudes) and to carry equipment weighing up to 40 pounds
  • Experience in the central and southern Arizona
  • Previous field supervisory experience
  • Valid driver's license; ability to drive company and rental vehicles for work
  • Ability to work closely with other cultural resource and technical professionals across SWCA
  • Strong communication skills, both written and oral
  • A positive, collaborative attitude
  • Interest in career development and growth at SWCA, long-term

SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.

If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email accommodations@... or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.

EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.

Edith Abasta
Senior Talent Acquisition Partner

SWCA Environmental Consultants
20 East Thomas Road, Suite 1700
Phoenix, AZ 85012
P 602.274.3831 | F 602.274.3958 | C 928.446.1238

Visit Our Website!

The contents of this email and any associated emails, information, and attachments are CONFIDENTIAL. Use or disclosure without sender’s authorization is prohibited. If you are not an authorized recipient, please notify the sender and then immediately delete the email and any attachments.