(ShovelBums) Now Hiring- Senior Archaeologist/Principal Investigator in Palo Alto or Encinitas, California

Clare Raimondo

Now Hiring- Senior Archaeologist/Principal Investigator in Palo Alto or Encinitas, California

About Insignia Environmental

Insignia Environmental (Insignia) is a growing environmental consulting company focused on the needs of energy and infrastructure clients. Our staff has a foundation in engineering, science, and real-world construction experience that translates into environmental documents and programs that represent the best in class for our clients and the environment. Insignia holds performance and responsiveness paramount while working with clients to meet their environmental needs, often on expedited timelines. We pride ourselves on knowing the latest environmental regulations, understanding the goals of our clients and regulatory agencies, and producing high-quality deliverables.

Why Join Us?

At Insignia, we work hard and take pride in the reputation of excellence that we have earned in our industry. The diversity of our projects ensures that employees are appropriately challenged and learning new things. We are looking for employees who strive to be the best in their field and enjoy exchanging knowledge in an interactive environment. Insignia also encourages and supports our employees in workshop and conference attendance to continue education in their fields.

Insignia offers a casual, enjoyable work environment and generous benefits, including a 401(k)-equivalent program, medical insurance, and paid time off. Candidates must be comfortable with dogs, as several large ones “work” in our office.

Position Details

Insignia is looking for a Senior Archaeologist to join our team and serve as our Cultural Resources Practice Lead as well as Principal Investigator for projects. Responsibilities include overseeing and directing cultural resource subcontractors, providing technical advice related to the management of cultural resources, conducting technical reviews of reports, and any additional activities needed to ensure compliance with regulations protecting cultural resources. The Senior Archaeologist may also perform cultural resources monitoring to ensure compliance of construction activities with environmental permits and regulations.

Job Description

  • Provide expert advice on avoidance and minimization strategies related to the protection of cultural resources.
  • Ensure full regulatory compliance with the National Historic Preservation Act and other regulations that protect cultural resources.
  • Conduct record searches.
  • Perform cultural resources fieldwork.
  • Staff and manage field teams of archaeologists.
  • Oversee and direct subconsultants.
  • Provide technical review of reports.
  • Interface with Native American tribes and organizations.
  • Interface with client cultural resource subject matter experts.
  • Facilitate compliance with cultural resource regulations pertaining to projects.

Requirements

  • Master’s degree in archaeology, cultural resource management, or a similar field.
  • At least 7 years of experience in cultural resource management.
  • At least 3 years of experience in environmental consulting.
  • Demonstrated experience with Northern California archaeology and history.
  • Knowledge and experience with federal and state regulations pertaining to cultural and Native American resources.
  • Demonstrated ability to complete projects on time and within budget.
  • Excellent communication and organizational skills.
  • Excellent writing and technical editing skills, with advanced experience in Microsoft Office.
  • Rigorously detail-oriented and committed to accuracy.

Other

  • Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
  • Willingness and ability to travel when needed.
  • Willingness and ability to work fluctuating and/or long hours as necessary.
  • Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
  • While prioritizing health and safety, this position requires an individual who is able to walk and hike through varying degrees of difficult terrain. Individuals may also be required to perform their job responsibilities in inclement weather conditions.

How to Apply

Interested applicants should submit a resume to jobs@... with a brief cover letter or cover email, including compensation expectations. Please include the words “resume” and “Senior Archaeologist” in the subject line of your email. We request that applicants refrain from calling our office directly regarding this position.

Insignia may request, for lawful employment purposes, background information about candidates from a consumer reporting agency in connection with employment.

Insignia is an equal opportunity employer. Insignia does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, sexual identity, mental or physical disability, genetic predisposition or characteristics, or any other characteristics protected by applicable state or federal civil rights law.

For additional information about working at Insignia, check out our Careers Page.