Field Archeologists Needed - DC Metro Area (Thunderbird Archeology)

B Sipe

Thunderbird Archeology, a division of Wetlands Studies and Solutions, Inc., a Davey Company, is accepting applications for Archeological Field Technicians and Crew Chiefs for immediate temporary, project-based, full-time employment. The position will be based in our Gainesville, Virginia office. Preferred applicants will reside within a 60-mile radius of Washington, DC; per diem and lodging will be provided for non-local applicants if positions cannot be filled with local applicants.

Fieldwork will involve Phase I-II investigations in the DC metro area.

Responsibilities will include:

•    Participating in archeological survey, excavations and laboratory work under the direction of staff      archeologists;

•    Artifact identification and processing;

•    Preparing accurate field notes and documentation;

•    Interpretation of soil strata, preparation of field maps depicting the locations of excavations, site/feature boundaries, historic standing structures, and other notable features within the project area.

Minimum qualifications include:

•    A Bachelor's degree in Archeology or a closely related field and successful completion of an archeological field school or at least three months of field experience;

•    Willingness to travel (per diem and lodging will be provided on projects more than approximately 90 miles from the office);

•    Physical ability to conduct archeological surveys in a variety of settings including urban and rural areas;

•    Physical ability to safely lift 50 pounds;

•    Physical ability to walk to and within project sites over a variety of different terrains in all kinds of weather and standing or walking for long periods of time;

•    Possession of a valid driver’s license.

Please submit a cover letter with availability, curriculum vitae/resume, salary requirements, and a minimum of three professional and academic references to Boyd Sipe, M.A., RPA, Manager - Archeology by email;  bsipe@...

We ensure nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.  If you need additional information or special assistance for persons with disabilities or limited English proficiency, please contact our Human Resources Department at 703.679.5600 (TTY/TDD users, call 711).  We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.