Cultural Resources Director, Arizona

Ron Van Ommeren

Job Description – Cultural Resources Director Position, Arizona
WHO WE ARE
EcoPlan Associates, Inc., (EcoPlan) is a professional environmental consulting firm specializing in environmental planning, resource economics, and the management of natural and cultural resources. Founded in 1991, our staff includes environmental planners, biologists, ecologists, archaeologists, historians, and preservation planners. EcoPlan is based in Mesa, Arizona with an office in Tucson, Arizona. Most of our work is in Arizona, though specific project assignments take us into other Western states including Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, California, Nevada, and Montana. Our clients include federal, state and municipal governments, as well as utilities and private/commercial clients. A major component of our work involves compliance with federal and state environmental laws and regulations, including the National Environmental Policy Act, the Endangered Species Act, the National Historic Preservation Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Clean Air Act. We assist clients in all phases of these efforts with baseline field surveys and impact analyses, literature reviews, environmental and scientific documentation, public involvement, agency consultation, mitigation planning, permitting, and construction monitoring.
PLANNING PRACTICE
Our highly effective skills in project management, agency coordination and consultation, public involvement, and problem resolution are used to analyze and coordinate complex, diverse, and controversial projects. We keep abreast of ever-changing environmental laws and regulations, environmental and scientific literature, and state-of-the-art analytical and field techniques. EcoPlan offers a cost-effective approach to environmental compliance and resource planning. We are devoted to maintaining client satisfaction while providing technical excellence. EcoPlan is strongly dedicated to its employees and in providing them with professional growth opportunities and the flexibility to balance family or personal time with a productive and satisfying career.
DESCRIPTION
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Cultural Resources Director to lead our cultural resources group, currently ten staff. This is a full-time position, based in one of EcoPlan’s two Arizona offices (Mesa or Tucson).  The successful candidate will possess an advanced degree (M.A., M.S., PH.D.) in Archaeology, Anthropology, Historic Preservation, Architectural History, Historic Architecture, Cultural Resources Management, or closely related discipline per the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards and will have a minimum of 10 years of professional experience in the management of cultural resources in the private and/or agency sectors. The ideal candidate will possess strong organizational, interpersonal, technical writing, and business management skills.
Responsibilities include preparation of technical and cost proposals; planning, coordination, and oversight of archaeological field surveys; development, implementation, and oversight of treatment (testing/data recovery) plans; report preparation; and technical/quality control reviews. The Cultural Resources Director will be responsible for finding and winning work, managing projects, mentoring and managing staff, and growing our cultural resource services.
The Cultural Resources Director’s duties will include but are not limited to the following:
  • Grow and manage a diverse staff of cultural resources professionals
  • Establish and grow market presence through marketing and business development
  • Take the lead on client coordination, proposals, marketing, staff supervision, and project execution including meeting scope, schedule, budget, and quality standards
  • Manage financial budget for department and allocate resources accordingly
  • Serve as a technical expertise resource to project managers and technical staff
  • Ensure the quality and integrity of the Cultural Resources team’s technical products and the consistency of those products with client and agency standards
  • Supervise, mentor, and support staff in all aspects of their responsibilities, including on multi-disciplinary projects
  • Lead business development efforts and collaborate on and develop strategic growth opportunities
  • Lead and advance the level of technical expertise and performance for the Cultural Resources team
  • Some travel required
PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS
  • Advanced degree (M.A., M.S., Ph.D.) in Archaeology, Anthropology, Historic Preservation, Architectural History, Historic Architecture (AIA), Cultural Resource Management, or closely related discipline
  • 10 years of professional experience in cultural resource management in the private and/or agency sectors.
  • Experience in interviewing, selecting, training, and mentoring staff
  • Fiscal management experience in a leadership role
  • Knowledge of the NHPA Section 106 process and associated federal and state laws and regulations, including Section (4(f)
  • Experience preparing cultural resource sections of NEPA documents
  • Excellent technical writing, technical editing, verbal communication, and public speaking skills
  • Understand project budgets, administration, contracts, and project management responsibilities
  • Provide QA/QC review of field documents, site forms, and reports
  • Has conducted marketing, business development, client management, and large proposal efforts
  • Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
  • Must have a valid Driver's License
Applicants may email a cover letter and resume to: ecoplan@...
Note: Dr. Brian McKee, one of EcoPlan’s senior archaeologists, will be attending and presenting at the Society for American Archaeology conference in Albuquerque on April 10 – April 14, 2019 and will be available to address inquiries about this position.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Negotiable

Ron van Ommeren
EcoPlan Associates, Inc.