PAL, a leading cultural resource management consulting firm in New England, seeks experienced archaeologists located in the Northeast for 2019 project work. Projects include survey and testing (both prehistoric and historic sites) for a variety of clients. Undergraduate degree and previous CRM experience in the Eastern United States is required. Field archaeologists will work in New England; some projects are local and do not include housing and per diem; some projects involve overnight travel with housing and per diem provided.
Your employment experience must include:
• Performing archaeological survey and/or excavation at job sites using hand excavation equipment
• Conducting fieldwork in a wide range of physically demanding conditions
• Identifying pre- and post-contact cultural materials and completing standardized field forms and drawings
• Recognizing a range of soil and ground conditions and recording soil color, texture, and composition
• Using maps, compass, and/or GPS
• Ability to travel without restriction Monday through Friday (occasional weekend time may be required)
• Work is outdoors, involving hiking over uneven terrain, in variable outdoor conditions including heat, cold, moisture, and dryness
• Must be capable of meeting the physical demands of the position, with or without a reasonable accommodation including:
-frequent repetitive bending and stooping, standing/walking/hiking
-lifting of less than 25 pounds
-gripping/squeezing hand tools and performing repetitive fine hand movements
-occasionally working with arms above shoulder level
• Position requires wearing personal protective equipment (supplied by PAL), which includes safety glasses/goggles, hard hats, and gloves
• Staff provide their own field boots which must meet nationally recognized safety standards.
• Ability to safely operate a company vehicle
• Ability to pass a background check if required by clients
Pay rate is commensurate with experience. Qualified applicants should send a resume and cover letter to: oadmin@... and include the word Fieldwork in the email’s subject line.
This job posting is also available on PAL’s website:
PAL is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer