Archaeologist/Principal Investigator - Wapsi Valley Archaeology, Inc.

Nurit Finn

If you love Archaeology;

But you’re tired of working for a big corporation or just want a change;

If you want to do field archaeology finding, testing, and excavating sites, and you don’t mind digging a few holes along the way;

If you don’t mind the heat and the cold because it’s the Midwest, after all, and you’ve worked here before;

If you have a Master’s degree and meet Secretary of the Interior’s qualifications;

If you have solid experience running projects, and want to use it doing creative work;

If you have strong field judgment and also understand the nuances of Section 106;

If you write well;

And you’re proficient in ArcGIS;

Or have other specializations or skills you’d like to share with us;

And play well with others professionally;

And work well under deadlines;

And you’d like to learn new skills, accept new responsibilities, and be challenged with meaningful, interesting work;

Then we have an opportunity for you:

Wapsi Valley Archaeology, Inc. is Hiring!

Position Opening: Archaeologist
Interesting Projects, Opportunities to Grow Professionally

Who We Are

Wapsi Valley Archaeology, Inc. provides the full suite of archaeological and architectural history services.  We offer opportunities to delve into a range of interesting projects, from Phase I surveys, to Phase II evaluation projects, to Phase III data recovery projects.  We also provide public outreach and educational services including book creation, GIS products, exhibit design, educational signage and kiosk design, and National Register nominations.

Our office is located in historic Anamosa, Iowa, a community near Cedar Rapids and Iowa City.

Position Responsibilities:
  • Direct or supervise Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III archaeological projects in Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, and other states.  This position will involve travel to exotic and mundane (but beloved) parts of the Midwest.
  • Conduct analysis of both prehistoric and historic archaeological assemblages.
  • Author reports individually and with others as part of a research team.
  • Analyze spatial data with GIS and produce maps and other graphics.
  • Complete other tasks related to NHPA or historic preservation work, which may include creation of public interest booklets or videos, designing museum exhibits and outdoor signage/kiosks, National Register nominations, MOA/PA/HPMP development, and other exciting endeavors related to historic preservation and research.

 Position Requirements
  • Meets Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Standards in Archaeology (both Prehistoric and Historic preferred)
  • M.A. in Anthropology/Archaeology
  • Proven proficiency in GIS and map creation
  • Experience supervising field projects
  • Familiarity with Midwestern archaeology
  • Strong research skills
  • Strong writing skills

Benefits

This is a full-time, professional salaried position.  Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.

Application

To apply, please send a cover letter, CV, and writing example to:

Nurit Finn, President
WAPSI VALLEY ARCHAEOLOGY, INC.
Email: ngfinn@...
Telephone (319) 462-4760

We’ll talk salary range up front so we know we’re on the same page.

Wapsi Valley Archaeology, Inc. does not discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, age, creed, physical or mental disability, color, sex, actual or perceived gender orientation/identity, ethnicity, national origin, familial status, or protected veteran status in its employment practices, in the selection and retention of subconsultants, and in its procurement of materials and leases.  All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, age, creed, physical or mental disability, color, sex, actual or perceived gender orientation/identity, ethnicity, national origin, familial status, protected veteran status, or otherwise, as required by law.  Please tell us if you are a Section 3 Resident under the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968.