Archaeological Field Technicians, Central-Arizona
Archaeological Field Technician – Arizona
Harris Environmental Group
Tucson, AZ 85705
Harris Environmental Group (HEG) is looking for on-call (temporary) Archaeological Field Technicians for cultural resources survey projects in the east-central highlands/Mogollon Rim region of Arizona.
Field Technicians are responsible for assisting the Crew Chief in identifying and recording cultural resources in the field. This includes identifying and documenting all types of regional artifacts and features, thoroughly filling out appropriate site forms, site/artifact photography, navigating survey transects with Garmin GPS, and mapping site using Trimble GPS.
· Bachelor’s Degree in archaeology, anthropology, or related field
- Accredited field school (preferred)
· At least 12 months of supervised experience in CRM pedestrian survey (preferred)
· Ability to work in hot conditions, inclement weather, rugged terrain, and remote locations
· Ability to hike up to 10 miles a day in rugged terrain while carrying up to 40 lbs. of gear and water (required)
· Proficiency with basic Garmin GPS devices and familiarity with Trimble GPS (using Terrasync) is preferred
· Experience using digital tablets for data collection and site recording (preferred)
· Experience identifying and documenting regional ceramic typologies of the Mogollon Highlands and Colorado Plateau (preferred)
HEG is an award-winning, woman-owned cultural and natural resources consulting firm specializing in the American Southwest. Our team includes archaeologists, architectural historians, wildlife biologists, environmental scientists, plant ecologists, and administrative personnel. We have a long history of working with federal, state, and local agencies throughout the Southwest, and our clients benefit from the collective experience of our diverse group of specialists.
Please indicate in your application if you have previously been listed as a Crew Chief or Field Director or a listed on any federal or state permits in AZ, NM, UT, or CO.
For non-SCA projects, pay is dependent on experience and education. Current projects fall under SCA wage rates. Per Diem is offered (for days worked) and varies between projects. Current work schedule is 8-on/6-off, Thursday to Thursday. Lodging is typically provided; however, sometimes car camping is required.
HEG is an Equal Opportunity Employer - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please send cover letter (including date of availability) and CV/resume to Kent Mead at kmead@.... kmead - at- heg-inc.com