Topics

Well, that was quick...

Ryan Harris

And just like that, they're gone again.

I beat the drum for a restock of SBE bulk packs and finally they showed up a couple weeks ago. Just as I was ready to pull the trigger and order one I had to replace the injectors on my truck, so there went all the fun money. Well, I've recovered from that and I went to the Sergent page today to order them and they are gone again. Even the individual packs are gone, expected in again in October.

Hopefully I can catch them the next time they're in stock. If I don't buy another freight car between now and October I could almost go through an entire bulk pack just installing couplers on cars that still have Kadees. I'll probably need two bulk packs by then.

--
Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, Texas

Paul Dallard

How many are in a bulk pack?

An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind. - Buddha

On Jul 20, 2020, at 15:03, Ryan Harris <ryan.harris@...> wrote:

And just like that, they're gone again.

I beat the drum for a restock of SBE bulk packs and finally they showed up a couple weeks ago. Just as I was ready to pull the trigger and order one I had to replace the injectors on my truck, so there went all the fun money. Well, I've recovered from that and I went to the Sergent page today to order them and they are gone again. Even the individual packs are gone, expected in again in October.

Hopefully I can catch them the next time they're in stock. If I don't buy another freight car between now and October I could almost go through an entire bulk pack just installing couplers on cars that still have Kadees. I'll probably need two bulk packs by then.

--
Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, Texas

Ryan Harris

144

--
Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, Texas

David Olsen

Sorry, Ryan, I was responsible for one of those SBE bulk packs. It was
actually the first bulk pack that I've ever ordered, and it was my
first Sergent purchase in 5 years. I wish I had bought a lot more
before Frank's production started to wind down, but I wasn't making
much progress with my modeling and had put off ordering expensive
couplers that I thought I wasn't going to use for a while. I have only
a couple dozen of the precious Type F and H couplers that will have to
last me until they are (hopefully) available again in the future.

Dave Olsen
Macomb, MI

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 3:58 PM Ryan Harris <ryan.harris@...> wrote:

144

--
Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, Texas

Ryan Harris

No worries Dave! I'm glad you got one. You'll go through it quick I can promise you that.

This just goes to show how much pent up demand there is for these things. I'd really love to have F and SE couplers again, too.
--
Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, Texas

David Olsen

Ryan, what's your preferred method for painting the couplers as you
assemble them? I got started with the original unassembled pewter
colored Sergents way back in the day, but I never actually painted
them because I was still testing them out in different applications.
Then I got lazy and bought some of the pre-painted, assembled
couplers. I'm ready to paint some of the new ones but want to ensure
they operate smoothly. Thanks!

Dave Olsen
Macomb, MI

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:04 PM Ryan Harris <ryan.harris@...> wrote:

No worries Dave! I'm glad you got one. You'll go through it quick I can promise you that.

This just goes to show how much pent up demand there is for these things. I'd really love to have F and SE couplers again, too.
--
Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, Texas

James Wall

Dave,

I use the Rustoleum paint rust color primer to paint my couplers.  I paint them all before assembly so I can clean them up as needed.
I take the three parts of the coupler and put them on a strip of masking tape to hold them, so none go flying away as I use the
spray paint from the can.  I generally let the paint dry over 48 hours before handling the parts.  Then is assembly as normal.

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

David Olsen

Thanks for the feedback, James. I was always concerned that Rustoleum
from the can had the potential to go on too heavy and gum up the
works, but if that hasn't been a problem for you, I'll give it a shot.
My airbrush stuff isn't set up yet since our recent move - need to
find everything! It would be great to get some couplers painted in the
meantime.

Dave Olsen
Macomb, MI

Tim L

Why do people paint their couplers rusty? While I don't know of any US freight wagon photo galleries to study a cursory image search seem to suggest that while a few do appear rusty most seem to just be dirty with road grime. I imagine that while a railroad themselves may not paint the coupler in some instances they would be painted ex factory anyway.

Just seems strange to see all those wagons I've seen with Sergents have "bright" rusty couplers in contrast to the rest of the weathering but I suppose that could come from the practice that couplers are painted the same colour as the end sill / underframe here and weather the same as rest of the wagon. But I digress...

I don't know if it's been mentioned here or not before but while looking at coupler pics I stumbled across this. Someone is offering 3D printed dummy Sergents (E and H). It may be of use to someone.

https://www.ho3dim.com/ho-scale-couplers

- Tim

On 22/07/2020 23:04, David Olsen wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, James. I was always concerned that Rustoleum
from the can had the potential to go on too heavy and gum up the
works, but if that hasn't been a problem for you, I'll give it a shot.
My airbrush stuff isn't set up yet since our recent move - need to
find everything! It would be great to get some couplers painted in the
meantime.
Dave Olsen
Macomb, MI

William Uffelman

Proto couplers are not painted so you can see cracks.

Bill Uffelman

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 3:13 PM, Tim L
<tim@...> wrote:
Why do people paint their couplers rusty? While I don't know of any US
freight wagon photo galleries to study a cursory image search seem to
suggest that while a few do appear rusty most seem to just be dirty with
road grime. I imagine that while a railroad themselves may not paint the
coupler in some instances they would be painted ex factory anyway.

Just seems strange to see all those wagons I've seen with Sergents have
"bright" rusty couplers in contrast to the rest of the weathering but I
suppose that could come from the practice that couplers are painted the
same colour as the end sill / underframe here and weather the same as
rest of the wagon. But I digress...

I don't know if it's been mentioned here or not before but while looking
at coupler pics I stumbled across this. Someone is offering 3D printed
dummy Sergents (E and H). It may be of use to someone.

https://www.ho3dim.com/ho-scale-couplers

- Tim

On 22/07/2020 23:04, David Olsen wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback, James. I was always concerned that Rustoleum
> from the can had the potential to go on too heavy and gum up the
> works, but if that hasn't been a problem for you, I'll give it a shot.
> My airbrush stuff isn't set up yet since our recent move - need to
> find everything! It would be great to get some couplers painted in the
> meantime.
>
> Dave Olsen
> Macomb, MI

Christian

I don’t believe it is “legal” for couplers to ever be painted. I always hit my couplers with a darker rusty brown.

Christian

On Jul 22, 2020, at 12:43 PM, Tim L <tim@...> wrote:

[...]

Andrew

That is correct. It is illegal to paint couplers or wheels for that matter (unless they are instrumented) as paint can hide cracking.

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 04:25:03 PM CDT, Christian <cdhostetler@...> wrote:

I don’t believe it is “legal” for couplers to ever be painted. I always hit my couplers with a darker rusty brown.

Christian

> On Jul 22, 2020, at 12:43 PM, Tim L <tim@...> wrote:
>
> Why do people paint their couplers rusty? While I don't know of any US freight wagon photo galleries to study a cursory image search seem to suggest that while a few do appear rusty most seem to just be dirty with road grime. I imagine that while a railroad themselves may not paint the coupler in some instances they would be painted ex factory anyway.
>
> Just seems strange to see all those wagons I've seen with Sergents have "bright" rusty couplers in contrast to the rest of the weathering but I suppose that could come from the practice that couplers are painted the same colour as the end sill / underframe here and weather the same as rest of the wagon. But I digress...
>
> I don't know if it's been mentioned here or not before but while looking at coupler pics I stumbled across this. Someone is offering 3D printed dummy Sergents (E and H). It may be of use to someone.
>
> https://www.ho3dim.com/ho-scale-couplers
>
> - Tim
>

>> On 22/07/2020 23:04, David Olsen wrote:
>> Thanks for the feedback, James. I was always concerned that Rustoleum
>> from the can had the potential to go on too heavy and gum up the
>> works, but if that hasn't been a problem for you, I'll give it a shot.
>> My airbrush stuff isn't set up yet since our recent move - need to
>> find everything! It would be great to get some couplers painted in the
>> meantime.
>> Dave Olsen
>> Macomb, MI

Mike Conder

Recognize that some good practices aren't always part of FRA regulations.

Mike Conder

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 6:17 PM Edward Sutorik via groups.io <Edwardsutorik=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here is a list of FRA freight car defects:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/appendix-C_to_part_215

I don't see any listing for a painted coupler or a painted wheel.  If there's no listing, it can't be written up.  If it can't be written up, you can't force a correction.

So it would appear there is no FRA objection to painted couplers and wheels.

Speaking of couplers:  I paint mine with Testors flat enamel after they're assembled.  I haven't noticed any problems, other than the paint coming off here and there.  I would likely have used Floquil if it were still available.  Sniff.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Ryan Harris

I usually brush them with Model Master Burnt Umber after assembly (sometimes after installation). I try to have the paint almost at the drybrush stage when I work around the joint between the knuckle and the coupler body to avoid getting any paint in there. When the paint is still wet I roll the couplers around in some weathering powder to get a deep rust color. After that I knock off the excess powder and work some graphite in the joint and open and close the knuckle several times.

I recently found my bottle of Neolube, the graphite suspended in alcohol solution, and brushed it on some couplers. It did a nice job coloring them black without adding any of the thickness you'd get from paint. I'll probably use it as a base color going forward then just drybrush the couplers over that, then use the powders to dial in the color.

--
Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, Texas

James Wall

Dave & all,

The first few I did paint with the rattle can were a little heavy on paint.  This is one reason I put the parts separate on tape to paint them and clean up if necessary.
I also try to do the paint in two to three different applications and spray from about four to five inches from the coupler parts.
The Rustoleum rust primer is a very nice spray paint and provides a even thin pattern.  I do suggest s few tests with your can to get the feel of how it sprays.

James Wall

Randy Hees

The rules about painting (or not) are found in AAR Interchange rules, not in FRA rules... but FRA (and PUC) inspect to AAR rules...Couplers are found in rule 18 section E, "General Information" no 7, "Coupler bodies painted susiquent to reclaimation must not be applied"  wheels are found in rule 41, section E, no 9 "Wheels must not be painted"

The above from Field Manual of the AAR Interchange Rules, 1975.

Randy Hees

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 5:17 PM Edward Sutorik via groups.io <Edwardsutorik=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here is a list of FRA freight car defects:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/appendix-C_to_part_215

I don't see any listing for a painted coupler or a painted wheel.  If there's no listing, it can't be written up.  If it can't be written up, you can't force a correction.

So it would appear there is no FRA objection to painted couplers and wheels.

Speaking of couplers:  I paint mine with Testors flat enamel after they're assembled.  I haven't noticed any problems, other than the paint coming off here and there.  I would likely have used Floquil if it were still available.  Sniff.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Ryan Harris

I like the printed dummy couplers. I wish a Type F was available, modified to allow the couplers to uncouple vertically by lifting one car. I'd be all over those to equip my coal fleet.

The color of the coupler depends on the age of the coupler. One of the industries we service is a Trinity plant, so the cars that are pulled from there have bright wheels, freshly painted trucks and bright rusty couplers. Over time the oxidation deepens and the color becomes darker, but at the same time road grime including brake shoe dust accumulates over the lower ends and underbody. If you wear white clothes to work on the railroad very soon you'll become familiar with this powdery brown color that coats everything. It's especially obvious on any TTX well or spine car that has seen a year or more of service.

There are other stains and colors that influence the overall color of couplers, such as mud splashed up from the tracks or spilled lading. The best way to choose the colors to use is to observe the prototype and try to replicate the colors yourself. How you apply the colors, whether paint, stain, powder, etc. is a personal choice. I like using paint, but so far I'm very keen on using Neolube.

--
Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, Texas

Matt

Not to change the subject but does anybody know if Frank has been able to or plans on getting his casting process back going so the other types of couplers like shelf,double shelf and the various shank length couplers can be produced yet. I need several double shelf for tank cars and extended shank for auto racks and center beam flats. Thanks Matt

Sent from my LG K10, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

I don’t believe it is “legal” for couplers to ever be painted. I always hit my couplers with a darker rusty brown.

Christian

> On Jul 22, 2020, at 12:43 PM, Tim L  wrote:
>
> Why do people paint their couplers rusty? While I don't know of any US freight wagon photo galleries to study a cursory image search seem to suggest that while a few do appear rusty most seem to just be dirty with road grime. I imagine that while a railroad themselves may not paint the coupler in some instances they would be painted ex factory anyway.
>
> Just seems strange to see all those wagons I've seen with Sergents have "bright" rusty couplers in contrast to the rest of the weathering but I suppose that could come from the practice that couplers are painted the same colour as the end sill / underframe here and weather the same as rest of the wagon. But I digress...
>
> I don't know if it's been mentioned here or not before but while looking at coupler pics I stumbled across this. Someone is offering 3D printed dummy Sergents (E and H). It may be of use to someone.
>
> https://www.ho3dim.com/ho-scale-couplers
>
> - Tim
>

>> On 22/07/2020 23:04, David Olsen wrote:
>> Thanks for the feedback, James. I was always concerned that Rustoleum
>> from the can had the potential to go on too heavy and gum up the
>> works, but if that hasn't been a problem for you, I'll give it a shot.
>> My airbrush stuff isn't set up yet since our recent move - need to
>> find everything! It would be great to get some couplers painted in the
>> meantime.
>> Dave Olsen
>> Macomb, MI

David Olsen

Matt, I'm about 95% certain that Frank has no plans to offer those
other styles of couplers again, based on conversations on this group
and Facebook over the past few years. The issue, if you haven't been
around for the "history," is that those other coupler types were first
printed using a 3D printer, then cast uses a "lost wax" style casting
process with those 3D prints serving as the master for the molds. The
issue is that Frank's printer broke down a few years ago, and he went
through a lot of pain trying to fix it with no success. I believe he
even tried to use a new printer but couldn't get it to work. For that
reason, as well as his desire to gradually retire out of the coupler
making business, he's only making the two types of couplers - standard
Type E and lower shelf Type E - that are cast and don't require the 3D
printer.

We're all hopeful that one of several people who have been tinkering
with Frank's publicly available designs for his couplers will be
successful in starting up production of the other coupler types.

Dave Olsen
Macomb, MI