Topics

(topic was Frank) New topic - progress is being made

Tom Colasurdo

All:

Let Frank weigh in on the crowd funding idea for a 3-D printer ... no sense speculating, or setting parameters.

I don't know Frank other than the e-mails we have exchanged and the posts on the Groups.io site, but I have sensed that his family or business or both are requiring larger amounts of his time ... and both are reasonable priorities in anyone's life.

Do not despair at the additional work now required of us ... Frank created an amazing product that all of us on this site desire.  Frank also provided his intellectual property in the form of 3-D electronic files ... when's the last time IBM, GE, Microsoft, Apple, etc did that ?  The beauty of having these files is we can modify to create never before available couplers ... let your imagination wander ... this can be fun if you let it.

Short of someone coming forth to purchase Frank's coupler business, we have to set our minds on what we desire and how to achieve that within our means.

I'm not making any promises today, and I'm not offering another's time without their permission ... so please be patient, and I'll let everyone interested know exactly what I've been up to.  Model railroading is a community, and it's amazing how often strangers become friends and mentors.  True networking is often mistaken for chance ... but I do not believe in chance.

I've attached the first samples of 3-D printed parts from Frank's S scale coupler files ... there is hope.

I have a day job, and a family ... I typically check e-mail once a day (after work on week days, and morning on weekends), so please be patient if you post or send me an e-mail.  In this microwave society I understand that self governance and control are in short supply ... I have no malice relative to my modeling, and my only agenda is to figure out how to obtain the needed parts for my modeling in the environment which we find ourselves ... so please, do not create a narrative in your mind and type for all to consume ... way too much of that in this day and age.

Have a great day ... more to follow.

V/r,
Tom C.

On Sunday, April 28, 2019, 7:14:31 AM CDT, Todd Fisher <tftrainman1@...> wrote:

Nathan I would definitely be on board with helping to pay for new molds if it meant getting to at least keep the long shanks going. I understand the others have to be done investment cast due to the higher detail on them and would love to see them back as well but Id be satisfied with some long shanks as a very large majority of what I still need to convert are cushioning cars and long cars.

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019, 4:30 AM Tim L <tim@...> wrote:
John,

I wasn't advocating that we should crowd fund Frank a 3D printer, I was
trying to lightheartedly point out that *if* crowdfunding for Frank was
something that happened then a 3D printer that "worked" (as opposed to a
3D printer that doesn't work like he has now) would be a more viable
proposition than a set of steel molds for diecasting a single coupler.
Frank fully intends for us to use his drawings to make couplers, that's
why he's given the drawings to us - he wants us (us = hobby in general)
to continue the couplers into the future long after he's done with it
all. How well we (as a hobby) succeed in that is another matter.

Mark,

I wasn't trying to slap down Nathan's idea, just pointing out the likely
realities of the outcome of a set of steel molds considering Frank would
have already done the homework on the cost recovery front. Don't get me
wrong, I don't want Frank to stop, at least not until I've worked out
how to do it all (probably years!) as I need some speciality couplers still.

Noting your location, good to see another person from down here using
Sergents; your only the third or fourth person in this country that I
know of using them.

- Tim

On 28/04/2019 15:56, John Larkin via Groups.Io wrote:
> Just as a suggestion, how about we let Frank decide if he would like to
> have a better 3D printer for him to make coupler parts or would he
> prefer (because of time for smaller lots, for example) to let another
> party use his drawings to make parts for the low run specialty parts?
> It might then be easier to set up a small corporation (of whatever type,
> C, S, etc.) and those who'd like to pitch in could own stock in the
> company.  The individual who is willing to make parts with it could be
> granted additional shares for the time, and then even get some added
> funds if the printer was used to make additional model railroad items
> that required time.  I'm trying to avoid saddling somebody with the
> burden of learning how to do 3D printing, then making and shipping
> parts, etc., without at least offering them something in return.
>
> This is just an idea and I'm not trying to say this is a final solution,
> only one idea that might work.  I'm sure you guys would have better
> ideas so consider this a start.  Those who put money in could receive
> some compensation, or it might be in parts, of just good hearted
> helping, whatever is fair and works for everybody.
>
> John Larkin

George

Those look great, Tom.

George Sebastian-Coleman

On Apr 28, 2019, at 10:55 AM, Tom Colasurdo via Groups.Io <t_colasurdo@...> wrote:

> [...]

> C, S, etc.) and those who'd like to pitch in could own stock in the
> company.  The individual who is willing to make parts with it could be
> granted additional shares for the time, and then even get some added
> funds if the printer was used to make additional model railroad items
> that required time.  I'm trying to avoid saddling somebody with the
> burden of learning how to do 3D printing, then making and shipping
> parts, etc., without at least offering them something in return.
>
> This is just an idea and I'm not trying to say this is a final solution,
> only one idea that might work.  I'm sure you guys would have better
> ideas so consider this a start.  Those who put money in could receive
> some compensation, or it might be in parts, of just good hearted
> helping, whatever is fair and works for everybody.

<S scale coupler body left side.JPG><S scale coupler body right side.JPG><S scale coupler bottom view.JPG><S scale coupler end view.JPG><S scale coupler top view.JPG><S scale fitted piece  left side.JPG><S scale fitted piece bottom view.JPG><S scale fitted piece right side.JPG><S scale fitted piece top view.JPG>

Tom Colasurdo

Thanks George ... but I cannot take create for creating these parts, I'm working with some amazingly talented folks that have a common interest.

I'm sure Frank, and others who focus on detail, can see there are issues at the pivot posts.  The 3-D printed posts are too cylindrical to function properly with the diecast knuckles.

Another area of concern is the ball socket.  The ball rides too high in the 3-D printed parts ... meaning the socket is not the correct diameter for the balls utilized.  Going to a smaller ball is not the option we are following at the current time.

Once we work these issues, and have a reliably functioning coupler, I will post how we got there.

Not sure the end game is producing metal parts ... Frank mentioned to me not to discount resin parts, and the folks helping this along are in alignment with Frank.  Also good to have a back up plan, and metal parts may be the back up plan or option.  Time will tell.

I'm optimistic ... Frank really has done a wonderful job on these couplers, and was amazingly generous with his CAD files.

Have a great day.

V/r,
Tom C.

On Sunday, April 28, 2019, 11:18:19 AM CDT, George <gsebastiancoleman@...> wrote:

> [...]

> burden of learning how to do 3D printing, then making and shipping
> parts, etc., without at least offering them something in return.
>
> This is just an idea and I'm not trying to say this is a final solution,
> only one idea that might work.  I'm sure you guys would have better
> ideas so consider this a start.  Those who put money in could receive
> some compensation, or it might be in parts, of just good hearted
> helping, whatever is fair and works for everybody.
>
> John Larkin

<S scale coupler body left side.JPG><S scale coupler body right side.JPG><S scale coupler bottom view.JPG><S scale coupler end view.JPG><S scale coupler top view.JPG><S scale fitted piece  left side.JPG><S scale fitted piece bottom view.JPG><S scale fitted piece right side.JPG><S scale fitted piece top view.JPG>

Mark Lewis

Tom:

I agree with George...the S scale test prints look really great.

Mark Lewis

Warren Weiss

Before anyone gets too excited over the 3D printed couplers, please note that they need to be assembled and tested under stress of an actual train. It is very possible that due to the mechanical properties of the plastic/resins used in the printing process that they will be unsuitable and metal may be the only alternative.

Warren Weiss

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 7:56 AM Tom Colasurdo via Groups.Io <t_colasurdo=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
> [...]

> C, S, etc.) and those who'd like to pitch in could own stock in the
> company.  The individual who is willing to make parts with it could be
> granted additional shares for the time, and then even get some added
> funds if the printer was used to make additional model railroad items
> that required time.  I'm trying to avoid saddling somebody with the
> burden of learning how to do 3D printing, then making and shipping
> parts, etc., without at least offering them something in return.
>
> This is just an idea and I'm not trying to say this is a final solution,
> only one idea that might work.  I'm sure you guys would have better
> ideas so consider this a start.  Those who put money in could receive
> some compensation, or it might be in parts, of just good hearted
> helping, whatever is fair and works for everybody.

Tom Colasurdo

Very wise and conservative advise Warren ... I have the very same concern.

Once we have enough couplers, I plan on testing in my application.  I guess we could do some destructive testing too ... pretty sure the resin being utilized is stronger than the draft gear boxes, but it would be good to confirm.

Have a great day.

V/r,
Tom C.

On Sunday, April 28, 2019, 2:04:29 PM CDT, Warren Weiss <warren@...> wrote:

> [...]

> C, S, etc.) and those who'd like to pitch in could own stock in the
> company.  The individual who is willing to make parts with it could be
> granted additional shares for the time, and then even get some added
> funds if the printer was used to make additional model railroad items
> that required time.  I'm trying to avoid saddling somebody with the
> burden of learning how to do 3D printing, then making and shipping
> parts, etc., without at least offering them something in return.
>
> This is just an idea and I'm not trying to say this is a final solution,
> only one idea that might work.  I'm sure you guys would have better
> ideas so consider this a start.  Those who put money in could receive
> some compensation, or it might be in parts, of just good hearted
> helping, whatever is fair and works for everybody.

Timothy Cann

Hi.  I've been monitoring this conversation and would like to interject some of my thoughts: my experience with SolidWorks goes back thirteen years; with the addition of a 3D printer about a year ago.  My 3D printer use has been focused on making parts for rolling stock.  My design starts with a SolidWorks modeled Parts, then on to Assemblies to check for fit, function and clearances.  Once a design is completed parts are 3D printed.  My 3D printer is an Anycubic Photon; a liquid resin printer that produces the incredible details required for tiny HO components.  The resulting cured resin is strong but very, very brittle.  I've not yet tried to print a coupler from the models from Frank, but I will do that and report back to this thread.

When it surfaced that Frank was looking to pass his business on I contacted a local CNC shop that has made aluminum and stainless parts for me from SolidWorks designs.  Part of the CNC shop's work is making tooling for heart stents, so he has the experience of working with tiny components.  He has showed interest in talking to Frank, but since I was unable to articulate the scope of Sergent Engineering's business, he ultimately decided not to pursue it.  Perhaps it was because of my lack of knowledge of Frank's customers and volumes.

Anyway, if you don't mind me sticking my nose into this conversation, I will commit to doing some test prints from Frank's SolidWorks models, along with feedback to you.

Tim

Jeff Young

While hobbyist machines might be resin-only, you can get 3D prints in metal (for instance through Shapeways).

George Corral

So far, I’ve used 10 Sergent couplers for my fleet of 98 cars.  I want to continue using Sergent couplers for a long time.

I am willing to help anyway I can to ensure these couplers continue to be available.  Count me in, fellows.

George Corral

La Grange, KY

Soon moving to Florida.

Tim L

Those are some nice looking prints there Tom. From the pictures it looks like there is material missing from inside the ball socket of the top casting, ie, it doesn't look like a plain hole but the hole is "undercut" on the inside, and also not round either. Perhaps this is the problem with the ball.

It's good to see that some folk are so far along, I wish I was but until last week the only coupler that I really needed for the time was one (the CS coupler) that I'd have to modify the drawing to put a standard shank on, which is beyond my capability as I don't have a PC capable of running today's fancy 3D CAD programs at this time. Oh well.

To comment on a few other posts, yes, it is possible to 3D print metal but it could be cost prohibitive for the strength needed. I believe that most 3D printing metal is basically sintering which I don't think would be as strong as a cast part. I haven't looked at it for a long time though.

Ditto for resin, I haven't looked into that for a long time either but I'd still be wary of resin for the finished product. I also don't think you could use resin for creating the parts for investment casting. I don't know what Frank uses but unless there's been incredible advances in either resin or investment casting you need the part to be done in a thermoplastic or wax so the part can be completely consumed by heat to create the part shaped voids in the investment.

I'm really enjoying this thread on progress and the continued existence of Sergents. Hopefully Frank is watching and enjoying it as well and pops his head in to say hi and perhaps drop a few more hints on how he used to do it.

- Tim

On 29/04/2019 00:55, Tom Colasurdo via Groups.Io wrote:
All:
Let Frank weigh in on the crowd funding idea for a 3-D printer ... no sense speculating, or setting parameters.
Snip

Alan Hummel

To All Sergent Modelers,
My name is Alan Hummel and used to talk to Frank Sergent via the old fashioned rotary dial telephone when he was manufacturing the standard E Coupler,in the white metal castings from his home. That has been a LONG time ago.Lots of laughs. Look at how far Frank has come since those days for which I want to thank him personally for his diligence in time,energy and finances. He's opened up a whole new area of Prototypical modeling for us modelers,for which we are all grateful.

I'm "on board" with the rest of you Sergent Modelers,although at my age of 61 and being without work,the best I can do financially,(no sob story intended), is buy Sergent Couplers. My finances might be nothing,but my enthusiasm is 100%!! Frank's Couplers are a great PLUS that all of us must work at to keep in production. Like myself,that "work" may be as a customer only,which is vital,while others can possibly do more.  "TOGETHER," we make up the complete "circle" just as all the pieces of a pie,no matter how small each piece is,make up an entire pie.

So Mr. Sergent and all Sergent Modelers have faith and "hang together" as we are. I'm very encouraged by the inputs of Frank and all the Sergent Modelers. Thank you,Gentlemen.

As Always,
Al Hummel

Timothy Cann

Here's my first print without any cleanup at all.  Some work will be required to remove support remnants before trying to assemble.  At this size the parts are quite tough.  Don't know yet if they can be assembled.  At least there's no magnetic issues.

Tim

Riley Kinney

I will support the effort any way I can because the couplers are outstanding and  surpass anything else in HO.

Riley Kinney

David Olsen

For those of you who aren’t on the Sergeant Facebook page, Ian Clasper has been doing some really neat work with Frank’s CAD files. Ian drew up a coupled set of dummy couplers for 3D printing that would allow you to equip a unit train with linkages that look like Sergents but are a solid one-piece drawbar that is permanent mounted at one end and clips in on the other end. He reports that it’s been successful on average length trains, but he hasn’t done testing on longer / heavier trains yet. Ian has some items already for sale on Shapeways, so I’m guessing he’ll make these available there also if / when he’s satisfied with the design.

I think this is a fantastic idea. I plan to have a utility coal train that I’d like to equip with lower shelf Type F couplers, but I could never afford to do all of them (50-60 cars) with Sergents when they would rarely be separated. I might do them in 10-car sets or something. I’m attaching a photo that Ian posted of his paired, 3D printer coupler draw bar.

Dave Olsen
Yorktown, VA

RJ Dial

I tried to find the source files on the website to no avail. The original instructions didn't work ("Home Page button and then Note from Frank").
Are they .stl files by chance? I just had some more detail parts printed from my design on Shapeways, and noticed the same parts would have been $16 instead of $10 if I had them made in brass instead of fine detail resin. Their method is metal is poured into a plaster mold made from a 3D printed wax model. Not sure if that would result in the tolerances needed, but thought it would be worth a try.
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

Andrew

RJ,

The files can be found under Instructions, Etc then “click here for instructions”.  The last one is 3D models.  That takes you to the page with the download link.

Andrew

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

The ABS liquid resins may be strong enough. Stronger if a shaped music wire is inserted partway thru printing. Adding a wire substantially increase the pull strength.
The liquid printers have a castable resin which is completely consumed with almost no ash.

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and Hn42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
@dapenguin

Tom Colasurdo

Tim:

Nice work !!!  Thank you for sharing photos, and adding to the knowledge base discussion.

Is this HO scale?

Please keep us updated on your experiences.  Really interested in how the printed knuckle fits the printed coupler.

Have a great day.

V/r,
Tom C.

On Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 10:00:54 AM EDT, Timothy Cann <tcann@...> wrote:

Here's my first print without any cleanup at all.  Some work will be required to remove support remnants before trying to assemble.  At this size the parts are quite tough.  Don't know yet if they can be assembled.  At least there's no magnetic issues.

Tim

Tom Colasurdo

RJ:

Just tried Sergent Engineering Home Page ... the "Instructions, Etc" button is working, click on it ... then click on the "Click here for Instructions" link ... then click on "3D Models" ... then click "Click here to download".

This will download a zip file with the IGS files.

Hope that helps.

V/r,
Tom C.

On Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 3:50:02 PM EDT, RJ Dial <radiodial@...> wrote:

I tried to find the source files on the website to no avail. The original instructions didn't work ("Home Page button and then Note from Frank").
Are they .stl files by chance? I just had some more detail parts printed from my design on Shapeways, and noticed the same parts would have been $16 instead of $10 if I had them made in brass instead of fine detail resin. Their method is metal is poured into a plaster mold made from a 3D printed wax model. Not sure if that would result in the tolerances needed, but thought it would be worth a try.
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

Timothy Cann

After a brief inspection of the emerald green printed parts (my pictures above) from Frank's source files I've concluded they are of little use except as an experiment.  The Anycubic Photon's resolution is 47 microns XY and 25 microns Z, which falls far short of what is required to get the fine detail required for operational couplers.  The source files are IGS (2D/3D vector format).  I opened them natively in SolidWorks, then created a SLDPRT (SW part file).  While open, I exported each source file to STL format which can be used directly in the Photon (and a majority of other 3D printers).  The SLDPRT file is useful when making assemblies for use in my modeled SolidWorks rolling stock.

Tim