The wand

George Hofmann

I broke one of my Sergent uncoupling wands. Dropped it on the floor and it broke cleanly in two. Glued together with CA, broke again, same place.

So, enough of that. Glued it again but then enclosed it in a length of 1/8" shrink tubing. I will do the same on my other wand as well as I hope this will protect it from breakage. I took the adhesive tape off that holds the knuckle pin and then used CA to glue the pin to the wand. The shrink wrap also covers most of the pin. The pin had been slipping under the tape so that's another problem solved.

I used gentle heat from a soldering iron to shrink the tubing so as not to affect the magnetism in the wand. It works as well as before.

The added diameter of the tubing and its texture gives a friendlier feel and better grip on the wand.

I would recommend using a bright color tubing rather than black. That would make it a little easier to find.

George
Edgewood, WA (where it has resumed raining)

Mark Lewis

George,

Great tip!!

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 12:06 PM George Hofmann <george.hofmann@...> wrote:
[...]

Riley Kinney

Awesome idea and I vote for Orange as the bright color….

Michael

Jamison Amis

This is a cool idea, George.

While all the wands I use now are the brass tube style with the small cylindrical magnets in the ends, I do like the idea of using heat shrink to make it a little easier to grip them.  I once owned one of the solid magnet wands in the past, which I lost when it was dropped and fractured upon impact.  Didn't think to salvage it once the replacement came.

I'll be trying this one out soon.  Thanks for sharing.

Jamison Amis