Topics

The ball will not drop!

Ed Tibbetts <tippytib@...>

Help! I'm new at this, and having a problem. After I assemble a coupler, but before I ACC it, when I turn it right side up, the ball will not drop and lock the coupler. I notice that my tweezers are slightly magnetic. Am I magnetizing the ball and causing it to hang? If I hold the magnetic uncoupler below the coupler, the ball still will not drop. Will not drop when I "thump" it too. :-(((
Do I need brass, or plastic tweezers???

Ed T.

Mark Lewis

Ed:     Yes. I have a pair of nylon tweezers, to avoid the magnetism problem.
Also, are you thoroughly cleaning out the cavity where the ball rides, so there is no drag? I use a wood toothpick.

Mark Lewis

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 8:24 PM, Ed Tibbetts <tippytib@...> wrote:
Help! I'm new at this, and having a problem. After I assemble a coupler, but before I ACC it, when I turn it right side up, the ball will not drop and lock the coupler. I notice that my tweezers are slightly magnetic. Am I magnetizing the ball and causing it to hang? If I hold the magnetic uncoupler below the coupler, the ball still will not drop. Will not drop when I "thump" it too. :-(((
Do I need brass, or plastic tweezers???

Ed T.

Tim L

I don't think that slightly magnetic tweezers are the problem, Zinc
(what the coupler is made of) is not magnetic by itself and can not hold
a magnetic charge (unless Frank is using some sort of alloy that does contain a metal that is magnetic) so the ball cannot stick magnetically
to the casting so my guess is that the ball socket requires cleaning
out.

I just went looking on Franks site to find the info on cleaning out the
ball socket etc but I can't find it. It's there somewhere though.
Basically cut a bit off the sharp point end of the toothpics provided
and twirl the toothpic in the ball socket, like you were drilling a hole
in the ball socket but your using the toothpic instead of a drill bit.

Using non magnetic tweezers is so the ball doesn't stick to the
tweezers.

- Tim

On 16/02/2018 12:48, Mark Lewis wrote:
Ed:     Yes. I have a pair of nylon tweezers, to avoid the magnetism problem.
Also, are you thoroughly cleaning out the cavity where the ball rides, so there is no drag? I use a wood toothpick.
Mark Lewis

Mark Lewis

Tim:
I totally agree.

Mark Lewis

On Feb 15, 2018 9:20 PM, "TL" <egroupstuff@...> wrote:
[...]

I was not aware of the pocket cleaning. I have been doing the pencil graphite in the ball pocket. Did I fail "reading for comprehension?", or is this just my learning curve? 😊
Ed T

Ken Anderson

Graphite in coupler pocket

I didn't think it was ok to use graphite in ballpocket but it sounds good, is that ok ??

Darren Boes

I suspect that's the reason for the ball failing to drop in this case. If I recall the instructions emphasize burnishing the ball socket with a toothpick, and keeping the socket absolutely free of anything else to allow free movement of the ball.

As this is my first message, I'll note that I switched to Sergents to get away from the excess slack action of Kadees. I'm planning a model railroad based on highlights of CP in southern Alberta and BC, and trying to account for the use of Sergents in the design of the switching areas.

Darren Boes

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 at 16:50, Ken Anderson
<cprrn1@...> wrote:
Graphite in coupler pocket

I didn't think it was ok to use graphite in ballpocket but it sounds good, is that ok ??

David

Graphite in the ball pocket will definitely cause the ball to stick in the pocket. Ask me how I know...

Whether there is any apparent flash or not, burnishing the ball pocket with a toothpick is part of my normal assembly routine.

I rub the inside face of the coupler and the face of the knuckle with an HB pencil lead. I don't use any powdered graphite products as they all seemed to reduce the reliability of the coupler operation.

Like Darren I'm accounting for the use of Sergents in my layout design.

David