Soviet Union/Russia SA-3(CA-3) Coupler HO

UP4096

Hello everyone, today I want to share the SA-3 coupler with you. No one needs this at the moment. I designed it just for fun. I hope it can bring you a little fun too.
Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLTA9Np546U
Have a good day.

Lei

Parker Wilson

Lei,
I'm one of the few folks who actually models Russian prototypes. Do you plan to offer this coupler? I've been looking for a SA-3 coupler model with the hope of 3D printing some.

Manfred Lorenz

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 04:24 AM, UP4096 wrote:
today I want to share the SA-3 coupler with you. No one needs this at the moment.
Well, that looks very appetizing to me. You might know that this type of coupler is used on the Swedish/Norvegian LKAB ore trains run to Kiruna and Narvik? Roco and Maerklin have made the appropriate locos (Dm3 and Dm2) and the various ore cars. Roco has extra dummy couplers supplied which can be used. But as dummies they have to be slid together vertically. But then they hold. Perhaps good enough because who wants to switch unit ore trains? But the locos could be made separable with your coupler? I think the coupler pockets on the cars are Kadee compatible pertaining to height and shape. On the locos it has to comply with the NEM 362 for the coupler pocket.

If it is intended for use throughout a train (on all cars) I think there should be as little slack as possible. The dummy coupler is a tight fit. That helps a lot if one runs really long trains. (Who does that in Europe?)

This is a picture gallery with the coupler in the loco.
https://www.roco.cc/doc/idimages/def2/1619881200/126107026008023019089006024008109025026004121011007.jpg

I would take some for my locos and cars. Just for fun! Price? Availability?
Manfred

UP4096

Hello Parker.
I currently have no plans to provide a 3D model. Maybe, when my patent expires, I will also publish all the designs, :-)

UP4096

Hi Manfred,
Sorry for the late reply, we just had a 5-days vacation.
I know that this type of coupler is used on the railways of the Soviet Union and some of its member republics.
On the railways in the border area between China and Russia, some locomotives also use this for transportation with Russia.
As for the shank of the coupler, I tend to adopt the style of the sergent coupler. If there are other forms of pockets, some modifications may be required before putting them in.
My studio has very limited manpower. I think we will make this coupler together with E/F series. It may not be long. The prices of all my investment casting couplers are close to Sergent.
Thank you for your attention.
Lei