Topics

[SergentEng] Touch up paint color.

Mike Van Hove

I have been using a thin coat of Delta Ceramacoat (spelling?) Raw Umber.  It's water cleanup and dries fairly fast., depending on the humidity where you are.  Makes a very good rust color.

By the way, I have been using the Yellow Micro Brushes to apply Graphite down in the ball hole.  I just twirl the handle of the Yellow Micro Brush down in the hole and it works very well.  Of course, you will still have to do the open, close, open, close routine with the couplers upside down.  There just doesn't seem to be any substitute for working the couplers, back and forth a few times.  After that, I haven't had any real problems.

Good luck.
Mike Van Hove

On Jul 7, 2014, at 12:57 PM, bullbrauch@... [SergentEng] wrote:

Gang,

Has anyone found a modeling paint that is a good match for the rustoleum rusty metal primer?  I'm pretty happy with the color the rustoleum provides but I'm looking for a paint that is easy to brush on for touch ups.

Thanks,
Brandan
Modeling the Grande in HOn3 and HO

Michael Looney

Brandan:
 If I need a color I take a paint stick and in your case spray it onto the stick  then take that to any paint store and have them match it,  but only ask for there sample can which should be about 7 oz and that should only cost you about $3.00, you can do this with any color that you use a lot of, it is cheaper then Ploy-S and work great, and has saved me a lot of money in the cost of paint.

Michael Looney
www.mikerls.com

On 07/07/14, bullbrauch@... [SergentEng]<SergentEng@...> wrote:

Gang,

Has anyone found a modeling paint that is a good match for the rustoleum rusty metal primer?  I'm pretty happy with the color the rustoleum provides but I'm looking for a paint that is easy to brush on for touch ups.

Thanks,
Brandan
Modeling the Grande in HOn3 and HO

Michael Looney

Mike:
 Where do you get this paint, I never heard about it before and is it easy to work with?

Michael Looney
www.mikerls.com

On 07/07/14, Mike Van Hove mvanhove@... [SergentEng] wrote:

[...]

Michaels, Hobby Lobby, any of the Craft Stores.
There is an unbelievable range of colors, and they are in small bottles, about 2 oz, I think.
They are much cheaper than the railroad brands.  I use them for painting all my structures, and many of my freight cars.  brushes very well, but in my experiance, it's not the best for airbrushing.
Water cleanup sure is a big help.

Mike

On 07/07/14, Mike Van Hove mvanhove@... [SergentEng]<SergentEng@...> wrote:

[...]

 I went and looked it up and found it at Wal-Mart and other places but Thank you very much.

Michael Looney
www.mikerls.com