Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:14 AM
Subject: [SergentEng] Sergents & Diesel plows

Just wondering what folks usually do in the situation of installing
Sergents (type F) on diesels with plows on them. Everything I've ever
installed onto before hasn't had plows and has only had type E's, so
I've had choice on coupler shank length to solve how far the coupler
sticks out.

Frank only offers the type F in one shank length and as far as I have
"dry fitted" to models I have so far the length is inadequate to get the
couplers far enough in front of the plows to be able to couple two
loco's together without problems, on curves at least.

I'm not beyond drilling and tapping new mounting holes etc but would
like to avoid that sort of surgery if I can. I would use the RailFlyer
versions as these would be the best on loco's but Frank still doesn't
sell kits of them yet.

Tim

Tim L

Hi Frank,

Hard to say exactly as I don't have the proper plows that they'll need
yet but with the stock standard plows the models come with I think
+0.100" would be about right.

There is enough meat on the loco frame (which is plastic) to move the
mounting hole forward by that amount, but requires filling a deep void
to do so. Not hard but probably a pain.

I'll send you some photo's of one of the dry fitted models.

These are all Bowser 6 axle Centuries which I must imagine no one has
fitted Type F's to before.

Tim

On 25/08/2016 14:07, 'Frank Sergent' fsergent@... [SergentEng] wrote:

Hey Tim,

How much longer would the shank need to be for your application?

Frank

Nathan Rich

For that matter having F couplers in a few different lengths would be really cool. Is it hard to do couplers that are custom in terms of different shank lengths?

This is my favorite part of my hobby time is to get the coupler into the spot where it is the optimum between getting it as far recessed as possible but operable. Then at that point I find that things mousy closely match photographed engines... we have a set of FA's that have the couplers recessed really far but it looks good because couplers really don't sit out very far on the prototype it seems.

Nathan

On 25/08/2016 14:07, 'Frank Sergent' fsergent@sergentengineering.com
[SergentEng] wrote:

> Hey Tim,
>
> How much longer would the shank need to be for your application?
>
> Frank

Tim L

I don't really want to speak for Frank but no it would not be difficult,
it's basically a drawing adjustment, not something serious like a
tooling adjustment or a whole new tool.

What it would really boil down to is 1. Finding a need (not too hard) and 2. Having enough demand; that's the difficult part. I don't know how
many couplers Frank casts per investment mold, but I don't think the
wants of just one or two modellers would really cover the justification.

As an example, I'd love for Frank to be able to develop some new
couplers for me (they are only used here as far as I know, it's
basically as bigger beefed up version of the lower shelf E), but I
seriously doubt I could afford the even the production cost, let alone
what Frank would have to charge to make it worth his while.

Tim

On 25/08/2016 17:27, Nathan Rich thaddeusthudpucker@... [SergentEng] wrote:

For that matter having F couplers in a few different lengths would be
really cool. Is it hard to do couplers that are custom in terms of
different shank lengths?

This is my favorite part of my hobby time is to get the coupler into the
spot where it is the optimum between getting it as far recessed as
possible but operable. Then at that point I find that things mousy
closely match photographed engines... we have a set of FA's that have
the couplers recessed really far but it looks good because couplers
really don't sit out very far on the prototype it seems.

Nathan

On Aug 24, 2016 23:18, "TS egroupstuff@...
<mailto:egroupstuff@...> [SergentEng]"

__

<mailto:fsergent@...>
[SergentEng] wrote:

> Hey Tim,
>
> How much longer would the shank need to be for your application?
>
> Frank

James Koretsky

Frank,

I've been asking for a longer shank Type F coupler now for a while. This would be in the compatible shank range and the equivalent of the Kadee #156, which is ~.100" long shank.

This is for a new Commercial Freight Car kit in HO scale, where the prototype had Type F's, but the Draft Gear box is designed for a #156 for operational purposes.

I'd be looking to make a bulk purchase of 500 Pairs to offer for sale with the kits, for those that want to use Sergents over Kadee's.

James