Topics

[SergentEng] Re: New HO narrow coupler box now available

Mike Conder

Photos came through fine for me, thanks Jon.

Looks pretty good to me, too.

I assume the centering does not create the "slinky" effect that Kadees have due to the fixed post and non-slotted coupler connecting?

Mike Conder

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 9:35 AM jzook@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I received my first batch of draft gear boxes from Jim, and assembled a couple last night with the Sharon couplers.  Attached here are photos of the coupler boxes with the couplers installed.  I'm having some difficulty posting photos in my photo album, so I hope the attachments come through.

I assembled these with the centering spring option. Couple of observations on these new draft gearboxes.  They are wider than the Accumate draft gearboxes, so for our HOn3 application, I envision some filing down of the sides to allow the trucks to swing further left and right.  This will not be an issue for HO standard gauge applications.  Also, with the Accumate draft gear boxes, they're too long to fit on a narrow gauge freight car, so trimming of the length is necessary for them to fit between the end sill and the bolster.  The same is required with the new draft gear boxes.  I don't see this being an issue that would affect the ability of the centering spring, but it may require removing enough of the draft gear to render the second mounting hole unnecessary.  As is typically the case with us narrow gauge modelers, we have to make modifications to make things work.

Regardless, I like the design, and it's nice to have this draft gear available to us. I'll definitely be purchasing more, and I recommend them to my fellow modelers.  With more operational trial, I'll let you know what I think of the centering spring option.  Not having had this option in the past, I don't really see myself using the centering spring, but it's a nice option to have available for those who prefer it.

More to come.

Take care, and have a great weekend.

Jon

John Degnan

The 'slinky effect" is IMPOSSIBLE with this new draft gear box as the spring does not move the coupler forward or backwards... only left to right.  The screw boss in the box is round like the hole in the coupler's shank, so forward and rearward movement is not possible.

John Degnan

Scaler164@...

On January 20, 2018 at 12:00 PM "Mike Conder vulturenest1@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

[...]

That's exactly what I expected, and good to hear confirmation.

Mike Conder