From: SergentEng@... [mailto:SergentEng@...]
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2017 7:32 PM
To: SergentEng@...
Subject: [SergentEng] Re: Coupler boxes ... more info

Yes, HO box(es).  Narrow box first … not sure what the market is for the “wide” (compatible shank) box.  Can y’all help me with this?  I “assume” that folks who go the HO Sergent coupler route are mostly interested in the narrow box to keep the “prototypically correct” theme going.

Certainly, there is a market for the wide box or Frank wouldn’t have tooled it.  I have no problem producing both; I’d just like to know the percentage of Sergent buyers who would use such an oversize box.  Is this something that On30 guys use because of the wider swing?

Jim King

(828) 777-5619

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

Edward Sutorik

As my just posted topic of assembling different lengths of the EC87 would imply, there are times a person has to or wants to use the "compatible" shank couplers.  The long shank cushion-style comes to mind.  The narrow couplers only come in one length.  Plus, I'm not going to necessarily be in the mood to change out coupler boxes in a RTR car.

It's my intent to use whatever version of Sergent works for a particular job.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

John Degnan

Molded-on, 'proprietary' draft gear boxes are why Sergent offers a "compatable" shank coupler.  But you have to remember that not all models come with molded-on boxes.  Take Stewart Hobbies/Bowser models, for instance... all they have is a mounting pad for mounting a draft gear box.  I my overly-exhalted opinion, this SHOULD be the industry standard way for ALL models to come.  But getting that to become a standardized (NMRA?) reality will be near impossible.  But it would lessen the cost of design for manufacturers, so I fail to see why they wouldn't welcome the idea with open arms.

Regardless... I'm sure Sergent will eventually offer the "narrow" shank couplers in various lengths, so just give Frank time to get it all done.  I waited almost 4 YEARS (or was it 5?) for the advent of the S scale coupler!

As for me... I would GLADLY swap out ALL molded-on draft gear boxes on every model I have in favor of a scale-sized draft gear box instead... if I just had time to do so.  The reward would be the results!

John Degnan