Topics

[SergentEng] Pilot couplers

John Niemeyer <jniemeyer@...>

John

I have mounted several of the front pilot “E” type couplers (ES1P87) to brass engines. No problems with double heading. I just don’t couple front to front steam engines and have never seen a narrow gauge prototype coupled that way either. The rear couplers on my equipment are all insulated anyway.

John

Good morning!

I am in the process of converting my HOn3 rolling stock from Kadee 714 couplers to the new Sergent Engineering Sharon couplers.  Has anyone found a problem with using these diecast couplers on the front pilot of Blackstone locomotives?  I am specifically concerned about a short-circuit when double-heading.  So far, I have seen no negative information regarding this.

By the way, these Sharon couplers are a very easy installation into the Blackstone cars!  Very impressive product!

Thanks in advance for any information that people may provide.

John Short

John Short

Thanks, Jon.

I have used, in the past, Kadee 714s with my brass locos, so I wasn't concerned.  With the Sergents, I was planning, on the brass locos, to use the plastic Accumate boxes, so that should not pose a problem either.  I was not sure about using the metal coupler in the diecast Blackstone engines, and if there would be a problem with double-heading.

Thanks for the quick response.

John Short

[...]

Dale Buxton

WARNING John!

If your new layout has curves with anything less than 24" radius, the Accumate coupler box will not allow your cars trucks to swing all of the distance they need to make the curve. Been there done that! So hold onto those old Kadee 714 coupler boxes. As sure as there are little green apples, There will be some instance come up where you will need them.

Dale Buxton