Topics

[SergentEng] New to group

Nathan Rich

Sharon and E couplers will interchange. There is also a +.100 shank E head coupler available on the website.

Just using E's will definitely change your opinion on Kadee couplers.

Nathan Rich

On Dec 11, 2016 11:17, "ktneuf@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Group,

My name is Ken Neufeld. I model in Sn3. Wondering if anyone out there is using Sergent couplers in this scale/gauge.

Would also like to know if there are specs on these couplers. Couldn't find any on the Sergent website. Specifically I build PBL kits and they use a Kadee #26 on a lot of their kits. This coupler has a .100 longer shank than the #5.

I am assuming the compatible shank couplers are replacements for the #5 or the newer scale head coupler.

I am thinking I would use the Sharon coupler but don't know if it would be compatible. Or would I have to use the Type E and ignore the vintage?

Thanks to anyone
Ken

David Heine

I model in Sn3 and have HO Sergent couplers on some of my rolling stock. I tried them after seeing them on some other Sn3 models. I've been mostly working on my layout, so I haven't converted my old equipment, but the newer stuff I've built has Sergent couplers. The longer shank couplers have solved the biggest problem with changing over to Sergents in Sn3, which is the use of coupler boxes designed for a #26. I've tried several approaches, on PBL and other kits to move the coupler post, but was never really happy with any of them as a solution to go and change all my existing rolling stock. The long shank Sergents make it easy.

They are smaller than the HO Kadees, but are probably as close as we'll ever get to a 3/4 MCB coupler in S scale. Sergent makes some S scale Type E's, but no S scale Sharons.

I also do some modeling in Sn2, and I've been using the Sergent couplers, but because of the narrow track gauge, I have to use the narrow shank version. I, like most others, use HOn3 gauge for Sn2. With Kadees, I'd have to use their smaller HOn3 couplers which look worse than the standard HO ones.

Dave Heine
Easton, PA

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 2:51 PM, Nathan Rich thaddeusthudpucker@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

[...]

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

Dave;

I agree on the Kadee coupler looks.  At 73% the H0 Sargents are fiddly close for 3/4 size in S.  For a type D just file a bit on the knuckle.

I use AAR coupler height and Choppers from New Zealand for my Sn2 Gilpin in the Bitterroots.  I use H0 Sergents converted to Type D for my Sn3.5.  And, I will use S Sergents for my wide (std) gauge S. As I do 1923 I may convert them to Ds also.

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

Sn42 and Hn42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest

Nathan Rich

Send a pic of the chopper couplers! I love the idea of different couplers apart from AAR couplers.

Not to go too far off topic but I have a 4-4-0 that I am planning on using some Link and pin couplers on. Just to have something different.

There is also a guy who is making Russian outline HO scale, having the proper SA3 couplers for that would be cool too. Just can't stand Kadee couplers anymore.

Nathan Rich