Topics

[SergentEng] New coupler boxes coming soon

Scott Walton

Your web page mentions "self-centering". If this means that the coupler automatically returns to the center position, doesn't this do away with one of Sergent;s advantages: the ability to couple on a curve?

Scott Walton

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 2:48 PM, 'Jim King' jimking3@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

In early December, I mentioned that I was designing a new coupler box to replace the hard-to-find Accurail box with the added treat of self-centering.  The design cycle was completed just before Christmas and patterns ordered.  If they are “on time”, I should receive them by next Monday.  Once I make the first rubber mold and some test castings, they will be announced as “in production/ready to sell” (assuming no design/pattern changes are required).  These parts will remain in-stock indefinitely so you won’t have to worry about “needing and not having” for future projects.

Stay tuned …

Jim King

(828) 777-5619

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

--
Scott Walton

John Degnan

Scott (and all),

The self centering feature is an OPTION with this draft gear box.  You choose whether or not you want to use it.  If not, simply omit the spring.

It may do away with the ability to couple on curves, but it should guarantee coupling on straights.  But what is one to do in the case of coupling on a curved siding when having just uncoupled from a train on a straight main?  One way or another, there's no foolproof solution for this issue.  Centering or non-centering - it doesn't matter... there will always be a situation where NEITHER work!

John Degnan

Scaler164@...

On January 3, 2018 at 3:59 PM "Scott Walton jscottwalton@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm glad to see that it's optional. I've worked as a brakeman on a couple of tourist lines so I've coupled and uncoupled the real thing. Part of the routine there is to bring the train to a stop about 3 feet short of the the cars. Then open one or both of the knuckles and line up the couplers so that they mate. One of the things I like about the Sergents is that that is the way they work. So I'll leave out the centering spring (But I'm pretty sure that I will be ordering several of these coupler boxes).

Scott

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 6:10 PM, John Degnan Scaler164@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

[...]

WITHOUT centering is definitely the correct way... but there are many modelers who have been spoiled by the auto-centering feature Kadee introduced, and now demand it... with many aging modelers likely needing it due to diminishing handling capabilities.  The funny thing is - the design of Kadee couplers, with their larger "gathering range," makes them LESS needy of a centering spring than Sergent couplers are (for those who want auto-centering)... yet here we are in our backwards little world.  Kadee's excessively wide draft gear boxes (although I'm sure they serve their purpose in some cases (like on small layouts with tight curves)) have also spoiled many beautiful models by being just that - too wide and just plain GAUDY!

I developed both the centering option AND my soon-to-come (in S scale) narrow draft gear boxes to deal with both of these issues because of comments I heard from those who lurk in S scale... how they didn't like Sergent couplers because they didn't auto-center... AND... how they didn't come with their own draft gear boxes.  So... I developed both for S scale... because the options were in demand... and to possibly help Sergent sell more couplers in S scale (to those who want auto-centering).  Now everyone can be as happy as they want to be.  To each his own... now, even in HO.

John D

Scaler164@...

On January 3, 2018 at 6:25 PM "Scott Walton jscottwalton@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

[...]

Sort of like having auto reversing headlights on our models. It's been around so long most modelers think the real ones do it - NOT!
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA